How to watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie Nintendo Direct trailer
A special Nintendo Direct focused on Mario's upcoming movie.
Ever since Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, announced that The Super Mario Bros. Movie was being made by Illumination in collaboration with Universal and would feature the voice talents of Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Jack Black, Charlie Day, and Seth Rogen, we at iMore have been dying to get a glimpse of the movie. Today, those dreams come true with a special Nintendo Direct that focuses solely on the upcoming movie. You can watch it below.
The Nintendo Direct and trailer goes live at 1:05 p.m. PT / 4:05 p.m. ET on October 6.
The Super Mario Bros. Movie is set to release in the United States on April 7, 2023. The movie was first announced during the September 2021 Nintendo Direct, by Mario's creator, Shigeru Miyamoto.
The cast of The Super Mario Bros. Movie
- Mario — The lead role is being voiced by Chris Pratt, best known for his roles in Guardians of the Galaxy, Parks and Rec, The LEGO Movie, and the Jurassic World movies.
- Princess Peach — This pink-loving royal is voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy who is popular for her roles in The Queen's Gambit, The Witch, and Split.
- Luigi — Mario's brother is voiced by Charlie Day. This comedian is best known for his roles in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The LEGO Movie.
- Bowser — The oh-so-talented, Jack Black takes on the Koopa King's role. We, of course, know this king of comedy from his many notable roles including those in School of Rock, Nacho Libre, and the latest Jumanji movies.
- Toad — Our little mushroom-headed friend is voiced by Keegan-Michael Key, best known for roles in Keanu, Let's Be Cops, and Tomorrowland.
- Donkey Kong — The ape is voiced by yet another notable comedian, Seth Rogen. You'll have seen his work in This Is the End, Superbad, and Pineapple Express, among others.
- Kamek —This Magikoopa is voiced by the talented Kevin Michael Richardson who you've heard voice roles for several animated characters including in Lilo & Stitch, Transformers: Revenge, Young Justice, and more.
- Cranky Kong — DK's grandfather who is known canonically as the first Donkey Kong that served as the protagonist in Mario's first games, is voiced by Fred Armisen. This actor's notable roles have been in Portlandia, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, and more.
- Spike — This Bowser minion is voiced by Sebastian Maniscalco, who you'll recognize from roles in Green Book, Tag, The Irishman, and more.
- Additional voices — No Mario movie would be complete without Charles Martinet, the beloved actor who has voiced the plumber in every Mario game since 1992. He takes on a number of voices in the movie.
Nintendo eShop Gift Card
Give yourself or someone else some game money for Nintendo Switch with this gift card. There are plenty of fun Mario games to play including solo platformers as well as fun multiplayers.
Buy from: Amazon (opens in new tab) | Best Buy (opens in new tab) | Walmart (opens in new tab)
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Gaming aficionado Rebecca Spear is iMore's dedicated gaming editor with a focus on Nintendo Switch and iOS gaming. You’ll never catch her without her Switch or her iPad Air handy. If you’ve got a question about Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, or just about any other Nintendo series check out her guides to help you out. Rebecca has written thousands of articles in the last six years including hundreds of extensive gaming guides, previews, and reviews for both Switch and Apple Arcade. She also loves checking out new gaming accessories like iPhone controllers and has her ear to the ground when it comes to covering the next big trend.