If you're nearing the end of the story in Luigi's Mansion 3, you might have noticed that your gallery is sparse in one particular area: the Rare Ghosts section. You might be poking into every corner of the hotel, looking for these mysterious Rare Ghosts you somehow haven't come across yet, to no avail. That's because there's a very specific way to find these Rare Ghosts, and if you're not playing the multiplayer modes, you're doing it wrong.
Products used in this guide
- Ghost bustin': Luigi's Mansion 3 ($60 at Amazon)
How to find Rare Ghosts in Luigi's Mansion 3
- When you load up the game, instead of choosing Story, select the Scarescraper game mode.
- You can play with friends locally or online, but if you're flying solo, select Online play and choose to play with random players.
- Select 10 Floors.
- Capture ghosts and complete objectives with three other players until you get to the 5th floor.
- There, you'll be able to battle several Rare Ghosts.
- If you want the ghost for your collection, you must be the one to ultimately capture it.
What Rare Ghosts can I capture?
There are nine total Rare Ghosts, all of which are variations on ghosts you have seen in the Story Mode, but with special abilities and more health:
- Speed Goob: 250 HP, moves very fast
- Speed Hammer: 350 HP, moves very fast
- Speed Oozer: 250 HP, moves very fast
- Regen Goob: 250 HP, regenerates HP when not engaged
- Regen Hammer: 350 HP, regenerates HP when not engaged
- Regen Slinker: 300 HP, regenerates HP when not engaged
- Bomb Goob: 250 HP, throws bombs
- Bomb Hammer: 350 HP, throws bombs
- Bomb Oozer: 250 HP, throws bombs
Can I find Rare Ghosts in Story Mode?
No. Rare Ghosts can only be found on the fifth floor of the Scarescraper and are not available anywhere else in the game.
What do I get for capturing all the Rare Ghosts?
There, unfortunately, is no special reward for capturing all the Rare Ghosts except the joy of having your Gallery completed. There is an in-game achievement for capturing a total of 40 Rare Ghosts, but it doesn't give you any special rewards like collecting all the gems will.
But if you're trying your best to finish your entire ghost collection, you'll need to be the one to suck up all nine Rare Ghosts, which likely means you'll be making multiple trips to the Scarescraper. Good luck, Luigi!
Our top equipment picks
All you need to sink into the frights of Luigi's Mansion 3:
Get the game
We ain't afraid of no ghosts
Luigi has once again gotten himself into a pickle when an invitation to a resort hotel turns out to be extremely haunted. With Mario, Peach, and the Toads captured and trapped in paintings, Luigi must navigate the 17 floors of The Last Resort with his trusty Poltergust, sucking up ghosts, and putting a stop to the designs of King Boo and Hellen Gravely for good.
If you want the best experience in Luigi's Mansion 3, consider these additional items:
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller ($63 at Amazon)
The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is easily one of the best controllers for the Nintendo Switch and is recommended in most cases over trying to maneuver the tiny Joy-Cons. Its look and feel are more akin to standard controllers for other systems, but it still has the motion controls and haptic feedback you want from the smaller, built-in controllers. This should be your first purchase after getting a Nintendo Switch, every time.
ButterFox Carrying Case ($11 at Amazon)
Keep your adventures in The Last Resort safe with an inexpensive traveling case for the Nintendo Switch. It can hold 19 games, the Switch itself, and multiple cables and Joy-Con controllers.
Nintendo Switch Lite ($200 at Amazon)
If you're obsessed with gaming on the go, consider the Nintendo Switch Lite as an alternative or addition to the regular Nintendo Switch. It's smaller, cheaper, more durable if you have kids playing the system, and comes in fun colors like yellow and turquoise. It can't dock on a TV, but if you're primarily a handheld gamer, this may be the best option for you.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!