Facebook offers a following feature that by default lets anyone follow your posts. For most of us, this may only apply to public posts. However, some folks still don't like this behavior and prefer that only friends can follow and filter posts into their News Feed. If you don't want people you don't know to have the ability to follow you, you can quickly remedy the problem with Facebook for iPhone and iPad.
How to prevent people you don't know from following your Facebook page
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on More in the bottom navigation.
- Tap on Settings — it's all the way towards the bottom.
- Tap on Followers.
- Under the Who Can Follow Me section, tap on Friends.
- You can also control who comment on your public posts under the Follower Comments section if you choose to.
That's it. Once you're done, Facebook will not allow people that aren't your friends to filter posts into their News Feed any longer. Alternately, you can always opt to let people you aren't friends with follow your public posts but just not leave comments. The choice is yours. Let me know in the comments how you deal with followers. Do you care if people you don't know follow your public posts, or did you disallow the feature?
iMore senior editor from 2011 to 2015.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.