Apple's latest and greatest software update for Mac is out now. If you want to wait for it to automatically update, make sure your Mac is connected to power and be patient. If you just can't wait for all of the new features, here's how to update to the latest macOS version.
What's new in macOS Mojave:
September 24, 2018: macOS Mojave is live!
Today, Apple launched the official public release of macOS Mojave, which brings dark mode, a new Mac App Store, desktop icon stacks, new Finder and Preview features, more privacy controls, the Home app for Mac, and a whole lot more. If you're wondering what all is new, we've got all the details.
Here's Apple's summary:
macOS Mojave delivers new features inspired by its most powerful users but designed for everyone. Stay focused on your work using Dark Mode. Organize your desktop using Stacks. Experience three new built-in apps. And discover new apps in the reimagined Mac App Store.
- Experience a dramatic new look for your Mac that puts your content front and centre while controls recede into the background.
- Enjoy new app designs that are easier on your eyes in dark environments.
- View an ever-changing desktop picture with Dynamic Desktop.
- Automatically organize your desktop files by kind, date or tag using Stacks.
- Capture stills and video of your screen using the new Screenshot utility.
- Find your files visually using large previews in Gallery View.
- See full metadata for all file types in the Preview pane.
- Rotate an image, create a PDF and more — right in the Finder using Quick Actions.
- Mark up and sign PDFs, crop images, and trim audio and video files using Quick Look.
- Photograph an object or scan a document nearby using your iPhone, and it automatically appears on your Mac.
Mac App Store
- Browse handpicked apps in the new Discover, Create, Work and Play tabs.
- Discover the perfect app and make the most of those you have with stories, curated collections and videos.
- Search with lyrics to find a song using a few of the words you remember.
- Start a personalized station of any artist's music from the enhanced artist pages.
- Enjoy the new Friends Mix, a playlist of songs your friends are listening to.
- Block Share and Like buttons, comment widgets and embedded content from tracking you without your permission with enhanced Intelligent Tracking Prevention.
- Prevent websites from tracking your Mac using a simplified system profile that makes you more anonymous online.
- Create a customized watchlist and view interactive charts that sync across your Mac and iOS devices.
- Make audio recordings, listen to them as you work with other apps, or use them in a podcast, song or video.
- Access audio clips from your iPhone on your Mac using iCloud.
- Organize and control all of your HomeKit accessories from your desktop.
- Receive real-time notifications from your home devices while you work.
How to download and install macOS updates
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac's screen.
Select App Store from the drop-down menu.
Click Update next to macOS Mojave in the Updates section of the Mac App Store.
- Your Mac will need to restart after the download has been installed, so make sure you save your progress for any program you are currently working in.
If macOS Mojave does not appear in your updates section, you can download it directly from the Mac App Store.
How to turn on automatic updates
You don't have to manually update macOS every time a new one launches. You can turn on automatic updates and it will download in the background.
Any macOS download or install questions?
Let us know in the comments!
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.