What you need to know
- Logitech is rolling out new firmware for the Circle 2 camera that adds additional sensors to the Home app.
- Light and occupancy sensing come in addition to bug fixes and improvements.
- Firmware is only available for cameras that have been converted to HomeKit Secure Video.
Logitech has begun rolling out a new firmware update for Circle 2 camera owners that utilize the HomeKit Secure Video feature. The updated firmware adds 2 additional sensors to the Home app: occupancy that works as an alternative to its motion sensor, and a light sensor that measures light levels in LUX. Full release notes are as follows:
- Circle 2's PIR based "Occupancy Sensor" is accessible in HomeKit for advanced users.
- In the Home App - it can be used as an alternative to the motion sensor for automations and notifications (not recordings).
- This sensor only works in areas where the camera's view is unobstructed (will not work when the camera is placed behind a window).
- Circle 2's ALS based "Light Sensor" is accessible in HomeKit for advanced users.
- In the Home App - it can be used to view light level values in LUX.
- Other bug fixes and improvements.
While having additional accessories appear in the Home app is always welcome, light based automations are currently not available using Apple's HomeKit app. However, they can be created using a third-party HomeKit app, bringing new ways to automate the home.
Firmware version 8.2.43 will be coming via an automatic update over the coming week, and cannot be requested via the Circle 2 app as it can no longer be used with cameras that have been converted to HomeKit Secure Video. Logitech also notes that HomeKit Secure Router users will need to have their cameras set to "Automatic" or "No Restriction" in order for the camera to receive the update.
The Logitech Circle 2 camera supports night vision, 2-way audio, 1080p video, and works both indoors and out, making it one of the most flexible options around. Plus it is one of just a few cameras that supports HomeKit Secure Video.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
A big iPad Pro display upgrade is on the way
Ming-Chi Kuo has reiterated previous predictions that Apple will introduce mini-LED display technology into its products as soon as this year, and that the first product to debut the tech will likely be Apple's next iPad Pro.
Apple's 'High Desert' will star Patricia Arquette, directed by Ben Stiller
The new comedy series follows the story of Peggy, a former addict who decides to become a private investigator after her mother dies.
CEO of UK smartphone carrier EE tells employees a 5G iPhone is 'days away'
Marc Allera, CEO of EE, says that a 5G iPhone is "just days away" in a new video shared with the carrier's employees.
These HomeKit cameras work with iOS14's Face Recognition and Activity Zones
iOS 14 brings some powerful new capabilities to HomeKit Secure Video-enabled cameras like Face Recognition and Activity Zones. Here's all of the cameras and doorbells that support the latest and greatest HomeKit features.