T-Mobile had a rough final quarter of 2011, and openly pointed the finger at iPhone 4S launches on AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon as the cause. Total revenues at T-Mobile were $5.2 billion, down from $5.4 billion in Q4 2010, and customer losses amounted 526,000 for the quarter, compared to a 23,000 customer loss at the same time last year. Here's some of the more detailed financial information.
- Adjusted OIBDA increased by 4.3% year-on-year to $1.4 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011, adjusted OIBDA margin improved 2 percentage points year-on-year to 31% in the fourth quarter of 2011
- Branded contract losses improved through the third quarter of 2011, however the launch of the iPhone 4S reversed this trend to a branded contract customer loss of 706,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011
- Strong branded prepaid additions of 220,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011, primarily due to continued success of unlimited Monthly 4G prepaid plans
- Service revenues down 2.7% year-on-year to $4.6 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011, due to branded contract customer losses and revenue effects from the shift to unlimited Value plans
- Branded contract ARPU increased $2 year-on-year to $58 in the fourth quarter of 2011, mainly driven by an increase in data ARPU
- Branded Data ARPU increased $2.70 year-on-year to $16.50 in the fourth quarter of 2011
- T-Mobile USA is reinvigorating its challenger strategy, which includes a major network modernization plan to launch LTE in 2013
- On December 20, 2011 T-Mobile USA’s proposed sale to AT&T, Inc. was terminated; due to the termination of the sale near year-end, T-Mobile USA’s annual impairment assessment of indefinite-lived assets is still ongoing
It's a little crazy that a single phone can put this much of a dent into a carrier, but T-Mobile has been bottom of the U.S. carrier food chain for some time now, and with the AT&T deal completely fallen apart, there's going to be no easy way out of the slump. I'd love to see an AWS-capable iPhone, namely so I could use one up here in Canada on Wind Mobile, Videotron, or Mobilicity 3G networks, but if T-Mobile can't offer Apple enough customers to make it worth their while, then I don't see it happening any time soon.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple to permanently close Apple Uptown in Minneapolis, Minnesota
The store, which has been temporarily closed since March, has already been under review for closure for some time according to Apple.
Zagg launches new 'Pro Keys' wireless iPad keyboard and 'Pro Stylus'
Zagg is trying to bring some elements of the Magic Keyboard to the masses with a "pro" keyboard that comes in under $100.
iMovie for iOS updated with support for Dolby Vision HDR ahead of iPhone 12
Apple has also updated Garageband for iOS with faster ways of starting an audio recording and a new keyboard sound pack.
These bands will go great with your blue Fitbit Versa Lite
Be bold and rock that blue Fitbit Versa Lite! Not every watchband will go with that color, however, so here are some of our favorites to go with that deep blue shade.