Get your apps ready for iOS 4.2">iOS 4.2, developers! That's what Apple's new information page says:
iOS 4.2 is coming this November. With iOS SDK 4.2 beta, you can add exciting, new features to your apps including the capability to print directly from iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. iPad apps can now take advantage of multitasking, Game Center, iAd, and more.
There some additional information about AirPrint as well:
Adding printing support to your app is easy. Simply provide a button for the user to initiate printing, prepare your content in an appropriate format, and then create and send a print job to the iOS print system when the user requests it.
Test with a printer that supports AirPrint
HP ePrint printers are the first to support AirPrint. You can test printing from your app to one of these printers:
- HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer series - C410
- HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - C310
- HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series- B210
Or, test printing with one of these options:
- Print to a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta
- Print to the Printer Simulator from iOS 4.2 beta
Getting excited for iOS 4.2 yet? Apple, you tease!