Daily Tip: How to Jailbreak iOS 5 GM with RedSn0w 0.9.9b3
Be advised that not all jailbreak apps and tweaks have been updated to support iOS 5. If you’re alright with running tethered and don’t mind a few bugs here and there, follow along for a quick walkthrough.
By this point, almost anyone jailbreaking is already familiar with RedSn0w and how it works. It’s not too much different this time except that RedSn0w has a nifty little tool to automatically detect the iOS 5 GM IPSW which makes the process a bit smoother.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
And I can’t say this enough times, if your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak it on any version of iOS 5! And if you rely on a software unlock and don't have an older boot rom, stay away from iOS 5 altogether.
What you need
- iOS 5 GM seed installed on your device from the Apple Developer Portal - Developer license required
- iTunes beta 7 for either Windows or Mac from the Apple Developer Portal - Developer license required
- RedSn0w 0.9.9b3 – Mac Link, Windows Link
After you have iOS 5 GM installed on your device, your device backed up, and your version of iTunes upgraded to the newest beta version, follow the steps below to jailbreak.
- First Launch RedSn0w
- This version automatically detects your IPSW unlike older versions of RedSnow. Just click Jailbreak and follow the prompts.
- After RedSn0w finishes doing it's thing, you're done!
- Next you may need to perform a tethered boot. If you do, simply open RedSn0w again and click Extras and then Just Boot
- Your phone will perform a tethered boot and you should be good to go!
RedSn0w has also thrown in a little bonus for Windows users. You can copy the redsnow.exe file to your desktop or anywhere you like and rename it something like justboot.exe. As long as you have the word "boot" in the file name you can just double click that file to perform a quick tethered boot with RedSn0w.
That's it boys and girls. If you need any help, be sure to check out our TiPb jailbreak forums. Until next time, happy jailbreaking!
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)