How to set up iTunes Wi-Fi sync for iPhone, iPad
Tired of tethering to iTunes and wondering how to set up iTunes Wi-Fi sync? It works just like traditional USB sync but without the cable! (Without the sync cable that is, you still need to be plugged into a power cable -- baby steps!) Here's how to get it going:
- Make sure your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is connected to your Wi-Fi network and running iOS 5. (Here's how to update to iOS 5)
- Make sure the PC running iTunes is connected to the same Wi-Fi network and is running iTunes version 10.5
- Plug in the device you want to setup Wi-Fi sync with
- When its been recognized, click on it in the left column then select Summary in the header bar
- Scroll down until you see the option for Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi
- Click the box to turn it on
- Hit Apply
That's it, now as long as iTunes is open on your PC, as soon as you plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into the power outlet, it should appear in iTunes and sync over Wi-Fi.
(Yes -- It has to be plugged in to the power for this to work, so you are really just cutting the cord to the PC not to the wall!)
If you want to initiate a sync manually, you can do this from your iOS device and you don't need to be plugged into a power outlet.
- Go to Settings
- Click on iTunes Wi-Fi Sync
- Click on Sync Now
That is all there is too it, you can now sync your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad without the cable. Well without a cable connected to your PC anyway!
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!