Daily Tip: How to tethered jailbreak iOS 5 beta 3 via Redsn0w 0.9.8b2
But again, we'll warn you that beta software has its own qualms to begin with so if you're not comfortable with a few more bugs, we urge you to stay away. Also keep in mind a lot of jailbreak tweaks and apps have not yet been updated to support iOS 5. If you absolutely need to get your beta jailbreak on, follow along for another walk-through.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak your device. So yes, iPad 2 owners will have to wait or jailbreak iPad via JailbreakMe on iOS 4.3.3.
- First you will need to download Redsn0w 0.9.8b2 - Mac Link, Windows Link
- Next you will need to make sure you have the iOS beta 1 firmware file from the Apple Developer Portal or wherever else you choose to find it.
- Launch Redsn0w. You should be asked to navigate to the firmware file from the previous step. Select it and click next.
- Once you click next, Redsn0w will take a minute to do it's thing. You should see a patching kernel message and that Redsn0w successfully recognized your firmware.
- Next select the options you'd like Redsn0w to perform. I typically only select Install Cydia. It's worth noting that this is where you will perform a tethered boot if needed as well. You will just select Just boot tethered for now if you need to do this or your device reboots or dies.
- Redsn0w will now walk you through putting your device into DFU mode
- After you're successfully in DFU mode, simply let Redsn0w do its thing and you're done!
Have you jailbroken iOS 5 beta 3 yet? Let us know your results and about any bugs you find. If you're having issues, don't be shy! Ask for help in our official TiPb Jailbreak & Unlock forums.
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)