Daily Tip: How to tethered jailbreak iOS 5 beta 2 via Redsn0w 0.9.8b1
Just get iOS 5 beta 2 and already wondering how to Jailbreak it? We recently showed you how to jailbreak iOS 5 beta 1 with Redsn0w. Fortunately, the process for beta 2 isn't much different. You'll simply need to use the beta 1 IPSW in order to jailbreak.
As always, betas are already buggy to begin with, and iOS 5 is no exception. The Dev-Team and many jailbreak devs are really only encouraging developers to jailbreak iOS 5 beta as of now. So if you are a developer (or a ninja who is afraid of nothing), follow along for a short walk-through.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
And I can't say this enough times, if your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak it on iOS 5!
What you need
After you have iOS 5 beta 5 installed on your device and your version of iTunes upgraded to 10.5 beta 5, follow the steps below to jailbreak.
- First launch RedSn0w.
- It should ask you to navigate to a firmware file. Simply navigate to the iOS 5 beta 5 firmware file instead of beta 2.
- Once you click next, RedSn0w will take a minute to do it’s thing. You should see a patching kernel message and that Redsn0w successfully recognized your firmware.
- Next select the options you’d like RedSn0w to perform. I typically only select Install Cydia. It’s worth noting that this is where you will perform a tethered boot if needed as well. You will just select Just boot tethered for now if you need to do this or your device reboots or dies.
- Redsn0w will now walk you through putting your device into DFU mode
- After you’re successfully in DFU mode, simply let Redsn0w do its thing and you’re done!
That's it! The process is pretty much the same as the first time around. But if you do run into problems or have questions, make sure you check out our TiPb Jailbreak Forums. We've got tons of great members more than ready and willing to help!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)