What you need to know
- Apple Pay and Apple Pay Express Transit make paying for journeys easier.
- Philadelphia, Boston, and San Diego are adding support in America.
- So are Toronto and Montréal in Canada.
Multiple cities in the United States and Canada are working to bring Apple Pay and Apple Pay Express Transit online by 2023, according to a new report by MacRumors.
Following the news that cities like London have gone online with Apple Pay Express Transit, MacRumors reached out to a number of transit authorities to see whether they had plans to bring the feature online.
Five cities responded, although the site only specifically mentions Boston as getting Express Transit mode in the future. It isn't clear whether the other cities will also offer the feature, or if they'll just be going all-in on Apple Pay in its standard form.
- Philadelphia: SEPTA plans to start supporting Apple Pay and mobile ticketing next year. The rollout may begin as early as the second quarter of 2020, but the timeline is not firm yet.
- Boston: MBTA says Apple Pay with Express Transit mode will be piloted in 2022 and rolled out widely in 2023. This will include CharlieCard fare card integration in the Wallet app.
- San Diego: SDMTS plans to begin implementing a new fare payment system in late 2020 with support for mobile wallets like Apple Pay. No plans for Compass Card integration in the Wallet app at this time.
- Toronto: Metrolinx says it is working toward initiating a limited pilot program to test out new forms of payment in 2020. In April 2018, Metrolinx reportedly said riders would be able to pay their fare by tapping their smartphone against a PRESTO reader in "far less than five years."
- Montréal: STM plans to support Apple Pay around 2022-2023 for credit cards, but not the OPUS fare card.
Apple Pay Express Transit allows iPhone and Apple Watch users to pay for transport without first having to authenticate. Instead, simply placing their device near a reader will initiate a payment, even if the iPhone or Apple Watch isn't charged.
OmniFocus 3.11 for Mac brings iOS widgets to macOS Big Sur
Now you can see your tasks from Notification Center without having to open OmniFocus.
Apple VP Deirdre O’Brien talks adjusting Apple Retail during the pandemic
O'Brien talked about the company's experience in adapting its business to the pandemic at the Fortune Brainstorm Tech virtual conference.
Julianna Margulies, star of 'The Good Wife,' signs on to 'The Morning Show'
Margulies, who has earned nominations for 10 Emmy Awards and 12 Golden Globe Awards, will star alongside Witherspoon and Aniston.
These Switch accessories pair perfectly with Pokémon Sword and Shield
Getting yourself or someone else Pokémon Sword and/or Shield for the holidays? You should check out these sweet Pokémon-themed Switch accessories to go with the games.