It's worth noting first that the Dev-team is calling this jailbreak a beta. Which means there could (and probably will be) quite a few bugs. Also keep in mind that a majority of jailbreak apps have not been updated to support iOS 5 as of yet. So just be forewarned. If you're okay with being tethered and dealing with a few bugs, click through for a quick walkthrough!
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak your device. Yes, iPad 2 owners, I'm looking at you!
- First you will need to download Redsn0w - Mac Link, Windows Link
- Next you will need to make sure you have the iOS beta 1 firmware file from the Apple Developer Portal or wherever else you choose to find it.
- Launch Redsn0w. You should be asked to navigate to the firmware file from the previous step. Select it and click next.
- Once you click next, Redsn0w will take a minute to do it's thing. You should see a patching kernel message and that Redsn0w successfully recognized your firmware.
- Next select the options you'd like Redsn0w to perform. I typically only select Install Cydia. It's worth noting that this is where you will perform a tethered boot if needed as well. You will just select Just boot tethered for now if you need to do this or your device reboots or dies.
- Redsn0w will now walk you through putting your device into DFU mode
- After you're successfully in DFU mode, simply let Redsn0w do its thing and you're done!
Have you jailbroken iOS 5 yet? If so, what has been your experience? Are your normal tweaks working for you or have you had more issues than usual? Let us know in the comments or in our TiPb jailbreak and unlock forums!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Tim Cook pens open 'Speaking up on racism' letter
Tim Cook has written an open letter titled 'Speaking up on racism.'
If Apple made an iPhone mini, this might be what it would look like
We're never short of iPhone concepts but this thing takes the biscuit. It's a sort of iPhone mini, but not. It's hard to explain, but it's awesome regardless.
Snapchat stops promoting President Trump following violent tweets
Snapchat will no longer promote President Donald Trump to its Discover page following violent Tweets posted over the weekend.
Take your iPad Air 3 to the next level with a great pair of headphones
A great pair of headphones is the perfect way to take your iPad experience to the next level. But which ones are the best fit for you? Here are some great options for you.