Square Enix is continuing its march of porting old-school role-playing games to iPhone and iPad with the release of Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride. Controls have been optimized for mobile, while maintaining the original's distinct graphics. Inside you'll find a classic tale of power, love, and freedom spanning many years.
The pricetag, as always, is on the premium side, but nostalgic gamers will have a hard time resisting. Here's what else you can expect.
- Make Friends with Mighty Monsters! The fearsome monsters you face in battle can now become your friends, giving you access to unique spells and abilities—and a whole host of strategic possibilities!
- Converse Freely with your Fellow Party Members! The party chat function allows you to converse freely with the cast of colourful characters who will accompany you on your adventure. So don't hesitate to turn to them for advice and idle chit-chat whenever the urge assails you!
- 360-Degree Views: Rotate your viewpoint in towns and villages through a full 360 degrees to make sure you don't miss a thing!
- AI Battles: Tired of giving orders? Your faithful companions can be instructed to fight automatically! Use the various tactics at your disposal to see off even the toughest enemies with ease!
- The Casino: With slot machines, poker, the monster arena and the exciting slime races of the slurpodrome, the casino is sure to provide you with a little light relief when the pressures of adventuring prove too great. Better still, you can exchange the tokens you earn for all kinds of exciting items, making taking a break well worth your while!
- Treasures 'n' Trapdoors: Take dice in hand and roll your way around specially designed game boards, enjoying a whole range of exciting events as you go! Some of the things you'll see won't be available anywhere else, and if you manage to make it to the end, you can win some really great rewards!
- Bruise the Ooze is Back! Bruise the Ooze, the slime-smashing minigame introduced in the Nintendo DS version, is back with a bang! Tap the slimes within the time limit to earn points in this super-simple yet fiendishly addictive goo-splatting extravaganza!
- Simple, Intuitive Controls: The game's controls are designed to work perfectly with the vertical layout of any modern mobile device, and the position of the movement button can be changed to facilitate both one- and two-handed play.
- Experience the legendary RPG loved by millions in Japan and worldwide! Created by a legendary trio with the master creator Yuji Horii, the revolutionary synthesizer score and orchestration by Koichi Sugiyama, and art by master manga artist Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball).
- $14.99 - Download now (opens in new tab)
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Editor-at-very-large at Mobile Nations, gamer, giant.
Optimized for iPhone 6 or not?
Square overcharges for their ports. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a good game, but Square overcharges. The main reason is that they tend to lag behind on updates. If I'm paying $15 for an iOS game, it needs to support new devices with new resolutions. It should do this sooner rather than later. Sent from the iMore App
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.