What you need to know
- Google has released an update to Gmail on iOS and iPadOS that adds a new widget.
- The widget can be added to the Today View on iOS and iPadOS or to your iPhone's Home Screen.
- It offers shortcuts for searching your email, composing an email, and viewing unread emails.
Reported by MacRumors, Google has released an update to the Gmail app for the iPhone and iPad. The new update introduces a widget that can be added to the Today center on both the iPhone and iPad as well as the Home Screen on the iPhone,
Version 6.0.201101 seems to be all about the widget as that is the only new feature listed in the update description.
As pictured above, the Gmail widget seems to offer users three options:
- A shortcut to search your mailbox
- A shortcut to compose an email
- Get notifiied of unread emails and jump right to that part of the app.
Currenly, it appears that the Gmail widget is only offered in the "medium" format. Apple also supports "small" and "large" widgets, so perhaps Google will add those options in the future. According to the report, the widget will not display any sensitive information or allow users to customize it further at this point.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.