What you need to know
- A new app for NFC tags can launch HomeKit scenes with a tap.
- The app HomeTags also brings NFC capabilities to older iPhones.
- HomeTags app is completely free with no IAP.
HomeTags, a new NFC scanning app from developer Christopher Hatch that focuses on launching HomeKit scenes has hit the App Store (opens in new tab) today. While the ability to use NFC tags for HomeKit commands was added through personal automations in iOS 13, HomeTags simplifies the process and only launches HomeKit scenes.
- Control your HomeKit set up house by simply tapping NFC tags. This app allows anyone with an iPhone 7 or later to program NFC tags and assign them to their HomeKit scenes.
- Add the HomeTags widget to your lock screen for quick scene triggering
- Use background scanning (iPhoneXs and later) to provide a quick link notification which allows you to quickly open Hometags and trigger the scene without manually opening the app
With just 3 steps, users can program an NFC tag to run their favorite scenes, making it a great option for various applications. A tag on a desk can turn on a nearby lamp, or a tag by an entry door can run a scene that turns off everything before you head out. With the right tag (opens in new tab), and HomeTags, the process can be completed in around a minute.
The HomeTags app also works with older iOS devices, dating all the way back to iPhone 7, which is not an option for personal automations as they are limited to iPhone XS/XR devices and later. Older devices do have some limitations though, as they cannot scan for NFC tags in the background, meaning that the HomeTags app must be open for it to work.
HomeTags (opens in new tab) is available now for free with no in-app purchases on the App Store.
Scan to launch
HomeTags makes programming an NFC tag with a HomeKit scene quick and easy. With just a few steps, you can be on your way to turning on the lights with a simple scan of an NFC tag.
Stick and scan
Ready to scan
The Timeskey NTAG 215 bundle includes 10 NFC tags that work with the iPhone, and HomeTags, for a low price. These plain tags stick to just about anything making launching HomeKit scenes a breeze.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.