Podcasts are a great source of entertainment for many of us. Whether it's informative, fun, entertaining, or even storytelling, podcasts are a way for us to escape for a good while. And even though there are many podcast apps out there, if you just need the essentials, then Apple's own Podcasts app will get the job done.
But once you subscribe to some of your favorite shows, how do you go about customizing the settings on each one? Don't worry, we're going to show you how!
- How to find and subscribe to a podcast
- How to change individual subscription options
- How to change podcast settings globally
How to find and subscribe to a podcast
- Launch Podcasts.
- Tap on the Browse tab on the bottom toolbar.
- Swipe through the Featured carousel, or choose from the Featured, Top Charts, All Categories, or Featured Providers sections.
- Feel free to peruse to your heart's content.
- As you find something that interests you, tap on the Podcast Art to view details and episode list.
Tap on the Subscribe button if you want to stay up-to-date with that podcast.
How to change individual subscription options
- Launch Podcasts.
- Tap on Library on the bottom toolbar to view your subscriptions and shows.
- Tap on the podcast you want to change settings for.
- On the podcast detail view, tap on the purple "…" button.
Select Settings from the menu.
The individual podcast subscription settings allow you to do things like toggle whether you're subscribed or not, and receive notifications for new episodes. You can also choose how episodes play, such as in sequential order or most recent first. There is also the option of only keeping the most recent episodes. Custom settings can be used too, including how to sort episodes, whether episodes get downloaded, deleting played episodes automatically, limiting episodes kept, and how often the podcast should be refreshed for new episodes.
How to change podcast settings globally
- Launch Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
Tap on Podcasts (in the section with Music).
- Toggle Only Download on Wi-Fi if you only want to download episodes while connected to a Wi-Fi network, rather than using cellular data.
Tap on Refresh Every to choose how often all of your podcast subscriptions check for new episodes.
- 1 hour
- 6 hours
Tap on Download Episodes to choose between the following options:
- Only New
- All Unplayed
- Toggle Delete Played Episodes if you prefer all played episodes get deleted 24 hours later.
When you activate these settings from the iOS Settings, they will be applied to all of your existing subscriptions. If you prefer certain settings for specific shows, you'll need to change the settings as mentioned above. These individual settings override the global options.
It's easy to change the settings on a podcast to what you need, as you can see. If you have any more questions regarding the Podcasts app, drop a line here and we'll do our best to help you out.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Analyst says iPhone 12 will cost more even without charger and headphones
Jeff Pu, an analyst at Chinese research firm GF Securities, predicts that Apple will raise the price of the iPhone 12 by at least $50.
Apple's new 'Behind the Mac' vid shows James Blake making music at home
Apple's latest "Behind the Mac" video shows James Blake making music even though he's been stuck in his home studio because of 2020.
Review: The Airthings Wave Plus keeps an eye out for Radon and more
This stacked sensor measures temperature, humidity, VOCs, air pressure, Radon, and CO2. But is it any good?
Sport bands for Apple Watch are the new black
Apple Watches look great when paired with so-called sport bands. They are a practical and durable choice for everyday wear. Here are some of the best ones currently on the market.