The Philips Hue Dimmer Switch with Remote is a great tool to add to your Hue ecosystem, especially if you just want something simple and easy to use for your lights. It allows you to quickly turn the lights on and off, dim them to the desired level, or even switch between four preset lighting scenes you've set up if you choose. It's easy to use and just as easy to install in your home.
Products used in this guide
How to install the switch
- Open the box and remove the switch.
- Next, you'll want to locate the spot on the wall where you want to mount it. It isn't designed to replace your current light switch, so you can either mount it next to your existing switch or anywhere else that's more convenient.
- Now you need to decide if you want the remote to be removable or permanently mounted. The remote has a strong adhesive on the back so you can mount it directly to the wall, or you can mount the baseplate to the wall so the remote is removable.
- If you're going to mount the remote itself, peel the covering off of the adhesive strips on the back and mount it to the wall. Make sure you use a level to line it up nice and straight.
- If you want the remote to be removable, screw the baseplate to the wall with the included screws. You shouldn't need any wall anchors but you can pick some up if you want.
- Pull the plastic tab out of the remote to turn it on.
- If you don't have a Hue Bridge, point the remote directly at each light you want to pair and press and hold the "on" button until the LED light turns green and is paired to the bulb (repeat for any other bulbs you have).
- If you do have a Hue Bridge, using the Hue app, connect the Dimmer Switch and Remote to whichever lights you want to use it with.
- Place the remote in the baseplate and you're done!
The Hue ecosystem is well known for its reliability and an incredible array of features, so the Dimmer Switch with Remote is a great option to add to your setup. It's easy to use but super easy to install as well and aside from a screwdriver, everything you need is in the box. Once it's mounted to the wall, you can either connect it directly to your lights without using a Hue Bridge, or you can use the Hue app to connect it all from there.
Our top equipment picks
The Dimming Kit is the perfect way to add even more light to your world. Aside from the Dimmer Switch, it also comes with a standard white Hue light to brighten up your world.
Everything you need
The Dimmer Switch is one of the simplest and most user-friendly ways to control your Hue lights. You can even get it with an extra light as well. You can never have too many lights right?
You might also need
You don't need to have a Hue Bridge for the Dimmer Switch to work but if you already have other Hue lights or if you're wanting to go all-in on with the Hue ecosystem, then you'll need one of these for sure.
Philips Hue Bridge ($60 at Amazon)
This is the brain that drives the Hue lights. While the Dimmer Switch will work without it, the Bridge opens up an entire world of possibilities for your Hue lights.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Deck the trees with smart holiday lights and get festive with it!
The holidays are almost upon us once again, so it's time to get festive! These smart holiday lights will definitely get your entire house in the spirit.
Looking for some last minute HomeKit gift ideas? We got you covered!
With the holiday clock ticking down, there's only a bit of time left to grab an awesome HomeKit-enabled device for that special someone.
Mix it up with 50 smart accessories that work with Alexa and HomeKit
Splitting your smart home accessories between HomeKit and Alexa ensures that you will always have access even if you decide to switch up your phone. Here's 50 flexible accessories that work with both voice assistants.