Apple's built-in Time Machine app makes it simple to back up Mac data — capturing them in their most recent state so you can recover them later. When the time comes when you have to restore individual files from a backup you can do so with ease by following these steps.
Great backup drives
- Our 2019 favorite: G-Technology G-Drive 1TB ($70)
- Compact: SanDisk Extreme Portable External 250B, 500GB, 1TB, 2GB (starting at $73)
- Sleak choice: LaCie Porsche Design 1TB, 2TB, 4TB (starting at $90)
How it's done
Regardless of the reason, you can restore an older file from a Time Machine backup. In doing so, you can replace a newer version of the file or keep both versions so that you can compare. Here's how it's done.
- Plug in your external backup disk and make sure it's on.
- Go to the location where the original file(s) were located. For example, if you're looking for a file that was under Documents, go into that location.
Choose Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine Menu.
- Find the items you wish to restore by using the timeline on the edge of the screen on the right. You can also use the up and down arrow.
- Select an item and press Space Bar to preview it and make sure it's the one you want.
Click Restore to restore the item you selected, or Control-click the item for other options.
From there, you'll be given a choice to copy over the existing file or leave the newest file in place alongside the older one.
Our top equipment pick
There are countless hard drives available that support Apple's Time Machine app for backup purposes. These three are among the best on the market.
Ideal for most users
Durable, colorful accessory
USB-C ready plus USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 3 compatible, this stylish drive from G-Technology is lightweight and Mac ready.
Also available with 2TB and 4TB, G-Technology's G-Drive is one of the easiest drives to use for backup. Just plug it in and you're halfway there! It's available in silver, space gray, and rose gold.
The following hard drives are also among our favorites for 2019.
SanDisk Extreme Portable External 250B, 500GB, 1TB, 2GB (starting at $73 at Amazon)
This product proves that even hard drives can be beautiful.
LaCie Porsche Design 1TB, 2TB, 4TB (starting at $90 at Amazon)
LaCie is well known for its backup devices; this is one of the most popular on the market.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
All the Nintendo Switch accessories for Animal Crossing fans
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is finally out on Nintendo Switch. Go all out with your Animal Crossing love with these adorable-themed accessories.
Get your hands on these adorable Animal Crossing amiibo
Animal Crossing: New Horizons works with amiibo. Here's a list of all of them, including where to buy them.
Keep your Powerbeats 4 handy and safe
Your Powerbeats 4 earbuds cost a pretty penny, so you'll want to keep them safe. Here are some great cases that will keep those Powerbeats secure as you travel and commute.