At WWDC 2019, Apple introduced an all-new design for the Mac Pro. In a throwback to Apple's so-called "cheese grater" look, the new Mac Pro is packed with hardware updates starting with a new Intel Xeon processor that has up to 28 cores.
The 2019 Mac Pro officially arrived on the market on Tuesday, December 10, 2019.
Pick your machine
The best of the best
The next-gen Mac Pro is finally here and it offers the specs that professionals and Apple enthusiasts alike will want to put through its paces.
Designed for maximum performance, expansion, and configurability, the new Mac Pro features a high-performance memory system with a 1.5TB capacity, eight PCIe expansion slots, and a graphics architecture featuring what Apple calls the world's most powerful graphics card. It also introduces Apple Afterburner, an accelerator card that enables playback of three streams of 8K ProRes RAW video simultaneously.
With Apple Afterburner, you can work natively with 4K and 8K files from the start. In other words, no more transcoding, storage overhead, or errors during output.
Looking for more? The Mac Pro includes smooth handles that allow you to easily move it around your workspace, with or without wheels. With a stainless-steel space frame and aluminum housing, the Mac Pro offers 360-degree access with ease. The frame has been designed to provide a foundation for modularity and flexibility.
Meanwhile, the lattice pattern maximizes airflow and quiet operation. For customers who want to rack mount their Mac Pro in edit bays or machine rooms, an optimized version for rack deployment will also be available.
At launch, the Mac Pro is available from an 8-core to 28 core Intel Xeon W processor. The processor breakdown is as follows:
- 8-core Intel Xeon: At 3.5GHz with a Turbo Boost speed of up to 4.0GHz, the 8-core Xeon processor gives you the power to tackle everything from game development to video editing and more.
- 12-core and 16-core Intel Xeon: The 12-core and 16-core Xeon processors are designed to simultaneously run multiple professional applications and applications that take advantage of extreme multithreading, which is more suitable for tasks like CPU rendering, compiling large projects, running multiple virtual machines, and CPU-bound computations.
- 24-core and 28-core Intel Xeon: The 24-core and 28-core Xeon processors with Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz can help you tackle even the most demanding pro workloads. Selecting one of these processors will also allow you to configure your Mac Pro with 1.5TB of memory using twelve 128GB LR-DIMMs.
- Configure up to 1.5TB of DDR4 ECC memory in 12 user-accessible DIMM slots
- Configure two MPX Modules with up to four GPUs
- Eight PCI Express expansion slots
Other notable specs include:
- Power Supply: 1.4 kilowatts with maximum continuous power of 1280W at 108–125V or 220–240V, and 1180W at 100–107V.
- Storage: Configure up to 8TB of SSD storage.
Pricing and availability
The 2019 Mac Pro is available as a tower starting at $5,999 and a rack beginning at $6,499.
No doubt, the Mac Pro isn't for everyone. Nonetheless, it looks awesome, don't you think?
Do you plan on considering a 2019 Mac Pro? Do you have any questions about the monster computer? Let us know below.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Analyst says iPhone 12 will cost more even without charger and headphones
Jeff Pu, an analyst at Chinese research firm GF Securities, predicts that Apple will raise the price of the iPhone 12 by at least $50.
Apple's new 'Behind the Mac' vid shows James Blake making music at home
Apple's latest "Behind the Mac" video shows James Blake making music even though he's been stuck in his home studio because of 2020.
Review: The Airthings Wave Plus keeps an eye out for Radon and more
This stacked sensor measures temperature, humidity, VOCs, air pressure, Radon, and CO2. But is it any good?
Sport bands for Apple Watch are the new black
Apple Watches look great when paired with so-called sport bands. They are a practical and durable choice for everyday wear. Here are some of the best ones currently on the market.