Updated June 5th, 2017: Added more specific information of processors, RAM, storage, and graphic capabilites of the new iMacs and added the link to order one today.
The iMac lineup is getting an update. Brighter displays, faster processors, more memory storage and more updates are headed to the iMac! If you're curious about the new machines, we've got all the answers! Here's everything you need to know!
New Lineup and Sizes
When it comes to size, the new bunch of iMacs has pretty much stayed the same. There will still be a 21.5-inch iMac, a 21.5-inch iMac with a Retina 4K display, and a 27-inch iMac with a Retina 5K display.
The screens on the 21.5-inch 4K Retina display and the 27-inch with 5K Retina display models are now able to produce the brightest picture ever. Apple has stated they are 500 nits which are the brightest display ever on a Mac. It's quoted at being 43% bright than the previous iMac models.
New insides for everyone model
The processors. storage. and graphics got an update for each model; here's what they look like.
- Processor Options: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz.
- RAM Options: 8GB or 16GB of RAM.
- Hard Drive Options: 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive, 1TB Fusion Drive, or 256GB SSD.
- Graphics Options: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 with 64GB eDram.
21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina Display:
- Processor Options: 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, or 3.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz.
- RAM Options: 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB of RAM.
- Hard Drive Options: 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive, 1TB Fusion Drive, or an SSD with a capacity of 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB.
- Graphics Options: Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB of VRAM or Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB of VRAM.
27-inch iMac with 5K Retina Display:
- Processor Options: 3.4GHz, 3.5GHz, or 3.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor or a 4.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz.
- RAM Options: 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of RAM.
- Hard Drive Options: a Fusion Drive with a capacity or 1TB, 2TB, or 3TB, or a SSD with a capacity of 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB.
- Graphics Options: Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB of VRAM, Radeon Pro 575 with 4GB of VRAM, or Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of VRAM.
The new iMac will have Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on the back, replacing the Thunderbolt 2 from the previous models. It appear that two Thunderbolt 3 ports will appear right beside the USB-A ports on back of the new iMacs in the bottom right corner.
If you're curious about how much the new iMac will set you back, here's the pricing:
- 21.5-inch iMac: Starting at $1099
- 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina Display: Starting at $1299
- 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina Display: Starting at $1799
New Magic Keyboard with Numeric Pad
While the new iMac will ship with a Magic Keyboard and a Magic Mouse 2, Apple also released the brand new Magic Keyboard with Numeric Pad today. It's the same slim and sleek design of the Magic Keyboard you know and love, but it has a full-size number pad! Finally, entering numbers into your spreadsheets will be a way easier and familiar experience.
You can pick the new Magic Keyboard with Numeric Pad from Apple for $129.
When are they available?
Apple announced the new iMacs would be shipping today, and you can order them right now!
Excited for the new iMacs?
Let us know in the comments below!
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Luke Filipowicz has been a writer at iMore, covering Apple for nearly a decade now. He writes a lot about Apple Watch and iPad but covers the iPhone and Mac as well. He often describes himself as an "Apple user on a budget" and firmly believes that great technology can be affordable if you know where to look. Luke also heads up the iMore Show — a weekly podcast focusing on Apple news, rumors, and products but likes to have some fun along the way.
Luke knows he spends more time on Twitter than he probably should, so feel free to follow him or give him a shout on social media @LukeFilipowicz.