What you need to know
- Spotify's Greenroom app is now available for download.
- The app is very similar to Clubhouse and Twitter Spaces.
After teasing it back in March, Spotify's Clubhouse rip-off is now here. Greenroom is the name and from my early dealings with it, it's fine. But nothing more.
Looking very much part of the Spotify family with its green and black palette, Greenroom was announced via a Newsroom post yesterday. It's available for both iPhone and Android and the app has grown a fair bit since it was first announced – and it's available in more than 135 different markets, too.
Today, we're making Spotify Greenroom available for the first time in its new form, available on iOS and Android in over 135 markets around the world. We're building Greenroom with the creators and artists in mind who make Spotify great, optimizing for interactivity and deep connections between participants in live rooms
Users can join groups, just like Clubhouse or they can join a room, just like Clubhouse. Searching for a room is pretty easy as well, so you should always be able to find something to listen to, even if you don't want to participate. Don't see something that takes your fancy? You can of course create your own room and invite people to join it.
The app itself is based on the Locker Room app that Spotify bought back in March, but there are some new features that make this a uniquely Spotify experience – starting with that new green and black look.
- New app branding (aka Greenroom) and a new overall look and feel
- The ability for any user to host or participate in live rooms
- A way to join Greenroom using your Spotify log-in info
- A new onboarding experience that puts users' interests front and center
- Recording capabilities so you can complement your on-demand content with live conversations
- Chat controls to ensure the best possible experience
With every other company now scrambling to make something like Clubhouse I'm not really sure where they all fit in a world where we didn't even have the original not too long ago. But if your're a fan of Spotify and like your apps green, Greenroom might be your bag. It might be early days, but it doesn't seem short of users already.
Greenroom isn't going to win any awards for being the best iPhone app, but neither was Clubhouse and Twitter Spaces are, well they're in the Twitter app. At least they're all on a level playing field in that regard!
You can download Greenroom from the App Store now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.