What you need to know
- FilmNoir has a big new update out with a number of new features and improvements.
- New context menus are available throughout the app.
- Lists can be more easily managed and an inline video player handles trailers and media.
FilmNoir, a movie and TV show tracker that uses the Trakt service, has a big new version 1.7 update available for download today. The iPhone app has gained a new, modern menu interface, improved sorting options, and more.
The new update, which is available for all existing users right now via the App Store, adds a ton of improvements alongside the usual array of fixes. Top of the list is a collection of new context menus. Long-press on just about anything and you'll now see the different ways you can interact with it — a big improvement.
Other improvements include new alternate icons, trending lists, and an updated RSS feed that delivers timely news across the entertainment industry. A new inline media player can display trailers and whatnot, too.
FilmNoir v1.7 was released a few days ago. Here is a thread with all new features and updates.#indiedev #iosdev #appstore #ios
🧵 pic.twitter.com/FpV3cdh5rQFilmNoir v1.7 was released a few days ago. Here is a thread with all new features and updates.#indiedev #iosdev #appstore #ios
🧵 pic.twitter.com/FpV3cdh5rQ— FilmNoir: Track films & TV shows (@FilmNoirApp) May 25, 2022May 25, 2022
- Context menus everywhere! Long tap on any cell to see all options. Quickly perform any action without opening the detail view.
- Updated more menu in movie, tv show, season and episode detail views with all available user actions (Requires iOS 15).
- Added option in your personal lists to sort by created date.
- List items can be removed by long tapping and choosing "Delete this item".
- A list can be deleted by long tapping and choosing "Delete this list".
- Added inline video player for trailers and media.
- News open in Safari in the app.
- Sorting by name ignores articles by default.
- Added new alternate icons.
- Added support for redeeming offer codes in the app.
- Added trending lists in Explore section.
- Updated RSS feeds for News
You'll need iOS 15 to get the most out of this update, but with iOS 16 just around the corner, you're all updated anyway, right? Those who don't yet have FilmNoir installed can get it from the App Store now. It's a free download with a subscription unlocking additional functionality. If you need to track the TV shows and movies in your life, this is one of the best iPhone apps for doing it.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.