Crouton is a recipe app that you can wink at to navigate
What you need to know
- Crouton is a cool recipe app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
- People can wink to control the app when their hands are dirty.
- SharePlay support means people can cook together remotely.
Crouton is a cool recipe app that has some awesome features including a wink-based interface for when your hands are dirty as well as SharePlay support.
Available for download from the App Store now for free, Crouton is a simple but feature-filled app that makes it easy to keep track of recipes that you love or just want to try out. You can then use those recipes to create shopping lists, too.
The standout features begin with support for winking — and no, I'm not kidding. Got dirty hands while cooking? Wink at your device to move through recipe steps without getting gunk everywhere! It's genius and you might be surprised how handy that feature comes in when cooking.
Another important feature is SharePlay support for devices running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey. With SharePlay enabled you can cook with others remotely using FaceTime.
There's more, too:
- Store recipes using websites, images, ingredients and instructions
- Auto recipe website detection, import recipes from websites fast
- Step by step mode, with hands free navigation (Wink left and right)
- Create shopping lists from ingredients
- Meal plan your dinners for the week
- Autogenerate meal plans from your existing recipes
- Scale recipes to cook for larger (or smaller) groups
- Scan ingredients and method straight out of the recipe book with OCR
- Back up and sync recipes and meal plan across your devices using iCloud
- Custom app colors and icons
- Import recipes from websites using the Safari share sheet.
Sounds pretty great, right? You can download Crouton right now to see for yourself. It's free with an in-app purchase that unlocks unlimited recipes and household iCloud sharing.
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.
By Daryl Baxter