If you're wondering whether you can use the Google Home smart speaker with Apple's HomeKit framework, I've got some sort-of bad news for you: You can't. Apple's HomeKit framework serves as a sort of backbone behind many home automation accessories, allowing you to use Siri and HomeKit-enabled apps to control your smart home. The Google Home smart speaker is less a home automation accessory and more of a home automation hub: You are meant to use it to control your accessories rather than control it itself.
Although the Google Home smart speaker doesn't work with Apple's HomeKit framework, it does work with many HomeKit-enabled accessories. Here's a list of compatible smart home devices:
Switches and Bulbs
- Philips Hue Bulbs, Lights, and Lightstrips
- TP-Link Bulbs and Switches
- LIFX Bulbs and Lightstrips
- Some switches and bulbs available to Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2
- Insignia Smart Plug
- TP-Link Plug
- WeMo Plugs
- Some outlets available to Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2
- First Alert OneLink Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- First Alert OneLink Environment Monitor
- Some sensors available to Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2
- Vivint SmartHome Cameras
- August Smart Lock
- First Alert OneLink Thermostat
- Nest Learning Thermostat
- Honeywell smart thermostats
- Some thermostats available to Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2
Appliances and Misc.
- First Alert OneLink Safe
- IFTTT integrations
- Frigidaire smart appliances
- Rachio Irrigation and Sprinkler Controllers
- Other appliances and accessories available to Samsung SmartThings and Wink Hub 2
Have any other questions regarding the Google Home smart speaker or Apple's HomeKit framework? Give us a shout in the comments and we can point you in the right direction!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Developer interview: Steve Troughton-Smith talks iOS 14, WWDC, and more
We caught up with Steve Troughton-Smith to talk about WWDC as a remote conference, and his hopes and dreams for iOS 14.
Apple loses appeal in Italy over iPhone slow down scandal
A court in Italy has upheld a ruling that Apple slowed down iPhones unlawfully, for which Apple was made to pay 10 million euros in fines.
Apple unveils 'Ted Lasso' first look for TV+, debuting August 14
Apple has given its first look at TV+ comedy 'Ted Lasso', which it has announced will debut on August 14.
Mix it up with 50 smart accessories that work with Alexa and HomeKit
Splitting your smart home accessories between HomeKit and Alexa ensures that you will always have access even if you decide to switch up your phone. Here's 50 flexible accessories that work with both voice assistants.