No holidays this week. No late night movies. No excuses. Just an editor, his desk, and putting words to digital paper. Let's do this.
iMore 2.0 update
iMore's move to our all new, all VISOR (what I call it) platform has been fantastic, but it hasn't been without a few bumps in the roadmap. Our free iPhone app panicked. We fixed it. A few of our pages got a little confused. We're fixing them still. There's a lot of work left to do but we're already starting to roll out those new features we promised you.
Starting with comment editing.
We've heard a lot of you complain that, if you make a mistake in a comment, you can't correct it. That ends this week. Once we flip the switch, if you write it, you can fix it.
And there's still a lot more to come.
(Watch for something special tomorrow...)
Part of iMore's mandate is to carefully curate the very best content for our readers, listeners, and viewers. We've been doing a lot of that already, but we wanted to make it simpler and more personal. Enter iMore's choice.
iMore's choice is going to be a very small series of articles focused on presenting you with the absolute best of the best of the best apps, accessories, and other iPhone and iPad related content.
We'll be adding to the iMore's choice lists when and if we find something really worth adding, and changing an item on the iMore's choice lists when and if we find something better.
Since they're meant for you, we want your feedback. We're editing the content, but you're shaping it. So let us know what we're missing and what could better.
We launched the first one earlier today, so check it out and check back often.
Writers, writers everywhere
In case you hadn't heard, iMore is looking for a few good writers. Scratch that. A few f'n great writers. We put out the call on Monday and to say we've been flooded by awesome applications would be an understatement. We're working our way through them all now, and we'll likely start contacting those we're interested in next week. If you haven't applied yet, there's still time.
We're giving away a ton of stuff on iMore lately. We just gave away not one but TWO $600 Apple Store gift certificates, and we're not stopping there:
- Twitter Treasure Hunt: Find, follow, and retweet your way to over $500 in prizes!
- Weekly photo contest: Avatars! - Win over $120 of photo gear and apps!
- Monday Brief: Win a Mobile Nations dream device of YOUR choice in the Monday Brief's season 2 intro contest!
You can always find the latest, greatest contests on our contest page so bookmark that bad boy and enter them all. Unless you don't like hundreds and hundreds of dollars of free stuff...?
I think it's safe to say the new format for our newly renamed iMore show is a hit, at least based on the phenomenal feedback we've been getting from you guys. We're following our "Less is iMore" strategy and tackling fewer subjects but talking about them more in-depth. Georgia's also taken the reins as host, which means I get to be a guest and really dive into the subject matter at hand. Seth's still keeping us real, and we'll be having more guests on to round things out and bring you even better discussion. We're all incredibly excited about it.
If you haven't listened lately, check out episode 302 and let us know what you think. Being the best damn iOS podcast on the 'net isn't enough for us. We want to better, and we need your help to do it, so speak up!
Don't miss ZEN and TECH either. We did a very Apple-centric show this week, focusing on... focus. Georgia's also considering doing a special series on parenting in the digital age. She's spent a lot of her therapy career working with children and parents, so I'm really hoping we can get it going sooner rather than later.
Can't stop. Won't stop.
- Failed review SMASH puny Georgia iPhone. If you've ever wondered whether or not the product tests we do are real, wonder no more. An iPhone was hurt in the making of that video...
- How iOS 6's flagship features compare to past versions, and to Android 4.1, BlackBerry 10, and Windows Phone 8. Some people have been saying Apple phoned it in on iOS 6. Talk is cheap, so yours truly did some digging and compared Apple's next mobile operating system to previous releases, and to the competition.
- iTunes Wish List belongs on the iPhone and iPad App Store. Leanna Lofte takes issue with iTunes Wish List feature being available on OS X and Windows but not where it matters most, on mobile.
- Sorry, Twitter clients, but Twitter's just not that into you.... It occurred to me that Twitterrific et. al. worked their apps off to help Twitter graduate to the big leagues, and now they might get dumped for a hotter, younger app strategy...
- Dear Apple, could we please have a Kids category in the App Store? Leanna Lofte's plea for a better way to find apps for children.
- Chrome vs. Atomic vs. Mercury: Best alternative browser for iPhone shootout!. Ally Kazmucha puts browsers not named Safari through their mobile paces and picks a winner.
- Would you pay a higher price for the next iPhone just so that you could feel more exclusive?. Georgia found an iMore forum member who was willing to pay Kevin Michaluk money for an iPhone Pro, and examines the idea of Apple as a luxury brand.
- RIM AGM and BlackBerry 10. Kevin Michaluk is covering the hell out of BlackBerry lately. Where mainstream journalists are making sloppy mistake after sensational mistake, Kevin is keeping up his enthusiasm but also keeping it honest and accurate. Read all of it.
- Why we don't need another version of Android this year. Alex Dobie takes a look at the state of Android and argues Google can take the rest of the year off.
- Jelly Bean: Will your phone get an update?. Jerry Hildenbrand helps prove why, with the somewhat depressing news about which current Android devices will and won't be getting the update Google just released.
- ReadWriteWeb’s dimly backlit Retina flamebait. Ignore the negative attention feeding and focus on Marco Arment's pricing out the Retina MacBook Pro. Want to guess how much more it costs compared to the non-Retina model?
- The New TBR Business Model. Benjamin Brooks is trying something interesting -- a 7 day time-shift for non-subscribers.
- iOS Photoshop Actions & Workflows. Marc Edwards of Bjango shares more of his Photoshop wizardry.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
Plan your day with Hour Blocks and its amazing iOS 14 Home screen widgets
Planning your day is no fun but sometimes you find an app that goes some way to making it less boring. Hour Blocks does a decent job and it looks lovely, too.
Scribble Together gets the coolest iOS 14 App Clip we've seen so far
Scribble Together has released its new App Clip for Scribble Together, which will allow users to collaborate on a Scribble Together whiteboard even if they don't have the app.
Pick the best Eufy RoboVac for you with our handy guide
Eufy makes some pretty compelling robotic vacuums and there are a lot to choose from. With a vast difference between the lower end, more affordable models and the smarter, connected, high end options, there are many factors to consider when deciding which model would be best for your household. We have compared the best of Eufy's RoboVac range here so you can find the right one for you.