WhatsApp uses iCloud to backup your chats to the cloud. Your chat logs and account data are secure in case you ever lose your phone and need to pick back up where you left off.
How to turn on iCloud Drive for WhatsApp backups on iPhone
First off, you'll want to confirm that you've got iCloud turned on and set up to back up WhatsApp data.
- Open Settings.
- Tap the Apple ID banner.
- Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
Tap the switch next to WhatsApp to the green 'on' position to turn on iCloud access.
How to back up your data to iCloud
- Launch WhatsApp from your Home screen.
- Tap on Settings. It's the gear icon in the bottom right corner.
Tap the Chats button.
- Tap on Chat backup.
- Tap Back Up Now to upload your chat data to your iCloud storage. If you'd prefer to set up iCloud to automatically store your chat data, you can do so on this screen.
Tap Auto Backup.
- Tap the backup frequency you'd prefer. Your options are Daily, Weekly and Monthly.
- Tap Chat Backup to go back to the last Settings menu.
Tap the switch next to "Include videos" to toggle whether or not to backup video messages.
Now that everything's backed up, you'll be able to restore your chats if you reinstall WhatsApp on any iOS device. If you want to migrate your data to a new phone, you will have to make sure everything is backed up to iCloud first. Then when you are going through the WhatsApp set up process on your new phone, simply restore your chat history when prompted.
Updated January 2020: Updated for iOS 13.
- Backing up: The ultimate guide
- Best backup services and programs for your Mac
- Best cloud service apps for your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Mac
- How to back up your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Apple TV
- How to back up your Apple Watch
- How to restore your Mac from a backup
- How to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup
- How to restore your Apple Watch from a backup
- How to recover your files when you don't have a backup
SENA Wallet Book Case beautifully protects your iPhone and valuables
This gorgeous case holds your iPhone as well as up to three cards plus cash securely.
'App Store Confidential' is in number one spot on Amazon thanks to Apple
The controversial "App Store Confidential" book is now the number one bestseller on Amazon. All because Apple is trying to get it banned.
AirPods Pro Lite rumors just won't go away with mid-2020 launch suggested
If AirPods and AirPods Pro aren't right for you, what about AirPods Pro Lite? A new report suggests a mid-2020 launch window.
Want to get rolling? Here are the best fitness trackers for cyclists
Track every rotation of your ride with these fitness trackers designed specifically for cyclists.