How to find places with Maps and Siri for iPhone and iPad
While a plain old Google or Yelp search from your iPhone or iPad can always help you find a place to eat or a store to buy something you need, using Siri in conjunction with the built-in Maps app is not only faster, it gives you the best of both worlds.
How to search for points of interest with Maps and Siri
Siri will react differently, depending on if you say, "Hey, Siri" or if you press and hold the Home button to activate Siri. If you say, "Hey, Siri" it will recommend the best restaurant nearby, based on Yelp ratings, and will offer to get directions or call the business for you.
How to find a point of interest nearby by activating Siri with the Home button
- Press and hold the Home button on your iPhone.
- Say something like, "Where is there a good place to get dim sum around here?"Siri will present you with a list of results based on your query.
- Tap the result you are interested in to see the location on a map, get contact info, and read reviews.
- Tap Directions to open Maps and start your route.
- Tap Go to start voice navigation.
How to find a point of interest nearby by activating Siri with "Hey, Siri"
When you talk to Siri, she has more to say in response.
- Say "Hey, Siri" on your iPhone.
- Say something like, "Where is there a good place to get dim sum around here?"Siri will show you the highest-rated location and ask if that is the one you want.
- Say Yes if you want that location or No if you don't.If you say Yes, Siri will ask if you would like to call or get directions to the location.If you say No Siri will offer you the "next best" location and ask if that is the one you want. Keep saying "No" until you see something you like and then Siri will show you the address.
You can get voice navigation by tapping the location within the Siri window. You will be redirected to the Maps app, where you can also request a ride.
Originally published April 2014.
Updated September 2016 to reflect changes to iOS 10.
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Lory is a renaissance woman, writing news, reviews, and how-to guides for iMore. She also fancies herself a bit of a rock star in her town and spends too much time reading comic books. If she's not typing away at her keyboard, you can probably find her at Disneyland or watching Star Wars (or both).