Line2 is new VoIP app for the iPhone and iPod touch that allows you to make calls on your iPhone over your 3G data connection while avoiding using up your ever important voice minutes. The app itself will cost you $1 but unlike Google Voice or Skype there is a $15 per month fee (after the initial free 30 day trial) but most of you will find that you do get your money's worth with all of the following features.
- A dedicated number that finds you on any phone. Get a local number, an 800 number, or transfer an existing number.
- Powerful office phone features including call waiting, call transfer, caller ID, call forwarding, and more.
- A second number for your cell phone that allows you to place and receive calls on your cell phone from your Toktumi number. Now you can keep your personal cell number private without having to carry two cell phones.
- Auto Attendant ("Press 1 for…") that's like a 24/7 receptionist - managing and routing incoming calls to the right person or department automatically. -Instant conference calls for up to 20 people -- you can even record your conference calls for future reference (windows only).
- Voicemail by e-mail that simplifies your communications and helps you easily manage your important messages.
- Virtual Assistant that screens and announces calls and provides different greetings for business and personal callers.
- PC-based calling for conducting calls and conferences from your PC anywhere worldwide. You can even dial numbers by name or keyword (windows only).
- Unlimited calling and conferencing to the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, as well as to other Toktumi users worldwide.
- Simultaneous call forwarding to up to six numbers
- Ultra-low rates for international calls, e.g. $.02 per minute for calls to China, Italy, and the U.K. See rates here.
All of the above are great features but not everything is a bed of roses. Two major drawbacks are as follows - until Apple allows for multitasking you must have the app running in order to receive incoming calls and currently you can not receive or send text messages (the latter should be fixed in a future update).
Now before you head into the App Store looking to download Line2 you should be aware it has been pulled by the developer, Toktumi. The blame goes to a DNS attack and not Apple like you may have thought so it will be back once the attack is cleared up.
Once it is up and running and if you decide to give it a try, let us know how it works for you in the comments below!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Ted Lasso's AFC Richmond has a Twitter account and now you know it exists
"Ted Lasso" is an Apple TV+ show that's taken social media by storm. So it stands to reason that Lasso's team is doing the same.
Report: Apple U1 chip coming to AirPods Studio, AirTags more than tracking
Apple's rumored AirPods Studio will include the U1 ultra-wideband chip, according to an anonymous leaker. They also suggest that we will see Apple's AirTags do more than just track things.
Apple has its first Primetime Emmy with Billy Crudup and 'The Morning Show'
Apple TV+ has its first Primetime Emmy win on the board and it surely won't be the last.
iPhone doesn't have an SD card slot, but you can use a flash drive instead!
Having a flash drive that works with your iPhone is a great little piece accessory to have in your back pocket! Here are the best options for backing up your phone.