What you need to know
- Penedex is an app for tracking pens and ink so pen addicts always know what they have filled and are ready to go.
- The app is free and available for iPhone and iPad.
Fans of fountain pens need ink to use them with, but tracking all of that can be troublesome. Penedex is the answer because it makes it easier for pen addicts to keep tabs on which pens have which ink and so on. And it's available in the App Store for iPhone and iPad right now.
Created by Connor Rose as a lockdown passion project, Penedex is an app that most people likely won't need — but those who do will find it invaluable when filling, cleaning, and enjoying the pens and ink that they collect.
While Penedex's main focus is to allow people to track which pens and ink they have, the app can also track which combinations are in play. People can organize them by date and mark a pen as "ready for cleaning" when the time comes.
Ever wanted to see stats and metrics about your collection? Penedex has those, too!
The full rundown of features includes:
- Create pen, ink, and EDC entries using the + button.
- Keep track of your pen and ink combinations in the EDC tab.
- Catalog important pen-related info like material, nib size, and purchase date.
- Quantify your ink's unique characteristics such as dry time, sheen, saturation, and flow metrics.
- Penedex will automatically keep track of how many times you've used a specific ink or pen.
- After you've cataloged an active pen and ink combination, you can easily mark it as "needs cleaning" or "cleaned" with a long press on the corresponding EDC entry.
- All your previously inked pens are stored in the History section of the Stats tab, along with some basic metrics about your library.
Penedex is a free download from the App Store with limitations that are unlocked by the optional in-app purchase. Alternate app icons, a notes field for pen, ink, and EDC entries, and unlimited ink library entries are the main reasons to upgrade to Penedex Pro.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.