What you need to know
- Universal Electronics is launching its own Apple TV remote.
- It will only be available to customers who subscribe to certain cable and satellite television services.
In a press release, Universal Electronics has announced that it is launching its own remote to control the Apple TV. The remote, in addition to controlling the Apple TV, is designed for those who also need to control a cable or satellite television system. The remote will be released next year and will be exclusively available to cable providers.
Paul Arling, CEO of Universal Electronics Inc., says that the remote was designed to meet the needs of more customers who access their live television through the Apple TV.
Cable and satellite television providers can begin placing orders for the new remote next month. Below is the full feature list of the new remote:
- Advanced Search & Control: Customers can ask Siri to find and access content across live TV and streaming apps*
- Enhanced Controls for Live TV: Dedicated program guide and channel keys provide easy and instant access to key live TV viewing functions
- Whole Entertainment System Control: Modeless support and universal control of Apple TV, as well as televisions and audio devices from any brand or manufacturer
- Reliable and Secure Communication: Integrated design with UE878, UEI's reliable and highly integrated BLE chipset optimized for voice control, and Apple's MFi authentication chip for secure connectivity with Apple TV
- Premium Fit and Feel: Elegant and ergonomic form factor with hard-capped keys on metal domes for enhanced tactile feedback
- Automated Backlit Keys: Accelerometer and ambient light sensor to automatically backlight keys in low light environments when the remote is picked up or moved
- MVPD Branding: Service providers can add their own company brand on the remote
There are actually some other programmable remotes that work with the Apple TV. Check them out in our list of the Best Remotes for Apple TV in 2020.
The remote, as explained above, is only available for cable and satellite television companies. This means that you won't be able to purchase the remote yourself unless it is offered through your television subscription service. Hopefully, this will change in the long run, as there are many Apple TV users who want a different remote than the one that comes with the streaming box.
100% exclusive content for the price of a cup of coffee.
With TV+, you can watch well-produced, big-budget TV shows from famed directors, and starring award-winning actors and actresses across all your Apple devices and with up to six members of your Family Sharing group.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.