Curious how to get more game ROMs on the iMame emulator for iPhone and iPad? iMame hit the App Store yesterday but didn't exactly wow anyone with the built in content. Luckily, it's fairly simple to add more ROMs to the emulator, including a lot of classic games if you have them handy.
- Download iMame - App Store link
- Download Mac or Windows PC desktop iExplorer client - Web link
- Connect your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to your computer via USB dock cable.
- Start iExplorer on your PC
- Navigate to apps/imame/documents.
- Drag and drop zipped ROMs from your PC into iExplorer in the apps/imame/documents.
Note that only ROMs from certain ROM sets will work. Rumor has it that you need ROM set 37b5, but older sets can work. It's hit or miss at this point.
It also supports iCade if you have one, and I found the support from the open source community was already better than Atari's iCade support. It detects changes better, and when it connects to iCade, the on screen controls disappear. You can also customize the controls.
UPDATE: As noted in the comments, you don't need iExplorer app on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. You just need the Mac or Windows client. I've updated the steps to remove that reference.
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org.