How to increase the privacy of iMessage previews and alerts
By default, iMessage shows previews and alerts on the Lock screen and Home screen of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Some people may not like that behavior and prefer more privacy — be they big business dealings or super secret sextings, we don't judge! Here's how to keep your iMessages away from prying eyes!
How to turn off message previews on your iPhone and iPad
By default iOS will show a short preview of your iMessage (or SMS) on both the Lock screen and Home screen. If you'd rather have your notification only show the sender's name, however, you can easily adjust the settings of the Messages app to do so.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Notification Center.
- Scroll down and tap on Messages.
- Scroll down once more and turn Off the option for Show Previews.
That's all there is to it. Now when your iPhone or iPad receives messages, no notification will pop up. You'll still hear an audible tone and get an alert but only the sender's name appears on the Lock screen or in the top banner notification. You can customize this further in the same section to disable alerts altogether if you prefer.
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android