How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain for iOS 7
iCloud Keychain is meant to be an easy way to manage passwords on your Apple devices. When password management is easier, using stronger passwords is easier. Since it can be tough to come up with strong, unique passwords, good password managers will generate them for you, and iCloud Keychain in iOS 7 is no exception. Unfortunately, the passwords generated by iCloud Keychain aren't exceptionally strong, but they are better than using the same password for every site. That makes them an okay starting point for people who want a little more security, but don't want full-fledged password manager from the App Store.
How to use iCloud Keychain on iOS 7 to automatically create and fill-in a password
- Launch the Safari app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Navigate to the site you'd like to create an account and generate a password for.
- Fill out any information that's needed and then tap on the password field where you'd create a password.
- Notice that above the keyboard there is now an option for Suggest Password. Tap on it. If you don't see it, that site does not yet support generating passwords with iCloud Keychain yet.
- iCloud Keychain will generate a password for you and sync it across your devices. Alternately, you may get the error pictured below. If that's the case, it means that site chooses to block saved passwords. You didn't do anything wrong. It just means you'll need to create your own password.
Note: Some sites block tools like iCloud Keychain. Sometimes it's for security or privacy reasons (for example, public terminals), other times they're just not compatible. If iCloud Keychain doesn't give you the option to generate a password, it's likely because the site is block those type of features.
How to get more help with iCloud Keychain
If you have specific questions about iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks in general, check out our iOS 7 help and discussion forum or OS X Mavericks help and discussion forum. For more on Safari in specific, check out our ultimate guide:
- How to enable (or disable) iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to access and view your iCloud Keychain passwords on iOS 7
- How to force websites to save passwords to iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to delete saved passwords from iCloud Keychain in iOS 7
- How to force websites to save passwords to iCloud Keychain in OS X Mavericks
- How to manually add your credit card to iCloud Keychain for OS X Mavericks