How to automatically generate a password with iCloud Keychain and iOS 7
If you've upgraded to iOS 7.0.3, you've got a fully enabled version of iCloud Keychain now. Aside from saving your passwords, iCloud Keychain can also help you generate stronger ones and sync them across devices. Here's how:
Before continuing, make sure that you have iCloud Keychain enabled under Settings > iCloud > iCloud Keychain. It won't work if the feature is not enabled inside your iCloud account.
Also be aware that the password generator feature in iCloud Keychain is not compatible with all sites as some either don't support it quite yet or don't want you saving passwords at all. This is probably something that will change over time. So if password generator doesn't show up or doesn't let you save a password, you aren't doing anything wrong. That site just doesn't support it, at least not yet.
- Launch the Safari app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad.
- Navigate to the site you'd like to create an account and generate a password for.
- Fill out any information that's needed and then tap on the password field where you'd create a password.
- Notice that above the keyboard there is now an option for Suggest Password. Tap on it. If you don't see it, that site does not yet support generating passwords with iCloud Keychain yet.
- iCloud Keychain will generate a password for you and sync it across your devices. Alternately, you may get the error pictured below. If that's the case, it means that site chooses to block saved passwords. You didn't do anything wrong. It just means you'll need to create your own password.
That's all there is to it. We expect that we'll see more support for iCloud Keychain over time. For now, you may have a harder time finding sites that show the option until they decide to implement the necessary steps for iCloud Keychain to play nicely.