How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain in OS X
iCloud Keychain is meant to be an easy way to manage passwords on your Apple devices. When password management is easier, using stronger passwords is easier. Since it can be tough to come up with strong, unique passwords, good password managers will generate them for you, and iCloud Keychain is no exception. Unfortunately, the passwords generated by iCloud Keychain aren't exceptionally strong, but they are better than using the same password for every site. That makes them an okay starting point for people who want a little more security, but aren't yet to the point of wanting to purchase a full-on password manager.
How to use iCloud Keychain in OS X Safari for generating passwords
- Launch Safari on your Mac running OS X Mavericks or above.
- Navigate to the website you'd like to create a login for or change the password for.
- Once you're in a password field, you will see a popup from iCloud Keychain suggesting a strong password for you.
- Click on Use Safari suggested password.
- Finish filling out anything you need to and save your changes.
That's all there is to it. iCloud Keychain will now sync the new password across all your iPhones, iPod touches, iPads, and Macs that are compatible with iCloud Keychain.
Note: Some sites block tools like iCloud Keychain. Sometimes it's for security or privacy reasons (for example, public terminals), other times they're just not compatible. If iCloud Keychain doesn't give you the option to generate a password, it's likely because the site is blocking those type of features, and it doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.
How to get more help with iCloud Keychain
- How to enable (or disable) iCloud Keychain on iPhone and iPad
- How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain on iPhone and iPad
- How to access and view passwords and credit cards stored in iCloud Keychain
- How to delete saved passwords from iCloud Keychain for iPhone and iPad
- How to manually add your credit card information to iCloud Keychain
- How to stop Safari from storing or autofilling passwords and credit cards from iCloud Keychain
- Forgot your iCloud Keychain security code? Here's how to change it!
- How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain in OS X
- How to manually add or remove credit cards with iCloud Keychain for OS X