How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain for OS X Mavericks
iCloud Keychain is meant to be an easy way to manage passwords on your Apple devices. When password management is easier, using stronger passwords is easier. Since it can be tough to come up with strong, unique passwords, good password managers will generate them for you, and iCloud Keychain in OS X Mavericks is no exception. Unfortunately, the passwords generated by iCloud Keychain aren't exceptionally strong, but they are better than using the same password for every site. That makes them an okay starting point for people who want a little more security, but don't want 1Password from the Mac App Store.
How to use iCloud Keychain on OS X Mavericks to automatically create and fill-in a password
- Launch Safari on your Mac running OS X Mavericks.
- Navigate to the website you'd like to create a login for or change the password for.
- Once you're in a password field, you will see a popup from iCloud Keychain suggesting a strong password for you.
- Click on Use Safari suggested password.
- Finish filling out anything you need to and save your changes.
That's all there is to it. iCloud Keychain will now sync the new password across all your iPhones, iPod touches, iPads, and Macs.
Note: Some sites block tools like iCloud Keychain. Sometimes it's for security or privacy reasons (for example, public terminals), other times they're just not compatible. If iCloud Keychain doesn't give you the option to generate a password, it's likely because the site is block those type of features.
How to get more help with iCloud Keychain
If you have specific questions about iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks in general, check out our iOS 7 help and discussion forum or OS X Mavericks help and discussion forum. For more on Safari in specific, check out our ultimate guide:
- How to enable (or disable) iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to generate a password with iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to access and view your iCloud Keychain passwords on iOS 7
- How to force websites to save passwords to iCloud Keychain on iOS 7
- How to delete saved passwords from iCloud Keychain in iOS 7
- How to force websites to save passwords to iCloud Keychain in OS X Mavericks
- How to manually add your credit card to iCloud Keychain for OS X Mavericks