How to rearrange app icons to customize your iPhone or iPad Home screen
The iPhone and iPad Home screen is an app launcher — it contains a grid of icons that represent all the apps on your device, and if you tap one, you launch the app. The iPhone and iPad come with a full suite of Apple apps built-in, but you can add many, many more through the App Store. Once you have a bunch of apps, however, you might want to change the way they're organized. For example, if you use Facebook a lot you might want to put that on the front page. If you use Camera a lot and Phone not very much, maybe you want to switch its place in the dock? Luckily, iOS makes it easy to organize your apps just the way you want!
How to organize the apps on your iPhone or iPad Home screen
- Go to your iPhone or iPad Home screen
- Touch and hold any icon until all of the icons start to jiggle (this is called "jiggly mode")
- Once they're jiggling, keep touching the icon and move it around the page until it's exactly where you want it.
- If you drag an icon to the extreme left or right of your home screen, almost off the edge, you'll scroll to the previous or next page and be able to place the icon on a new or different home screen.
- You can even drag apps out of the dock that you might not use that often and put more frequently used apps in the dock, like replacing Music with Messages. (You have to drag an icon out of the dock before you can place a different icon there.)
- Click the Home button to exit jiggly mode when you're done.
If you tap the X on top of a jiggling icon, you'll delete it so make sure you don't do that unless you really want to!
Also, if you drag one icon on top of another icon, you'll start a new folder. (And yes, you can put folders in the dock as well!)
Note: Originally published December, 2010. Updated July 2014.