How to turn iMessage read receipts on or off
iMessage lets you send free text, photo, and video messages to other iOS and OS X users anywhere in the world . Read receipts allow your contacts to see whether or not you've viewed a message. While some people may consider read receipts to be a bit stalker-ish, others may find them useful for work and business situations. Regardless of why you need them, we can help you turn them on or off no matter what iOS device or Mac you're using.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll down and tap on Messages.
- Now either turn Read Receipts on or off depending on your preference.
- Launch the Messages app on your Mac running OS X Mountain Lion or higher.
- In the top menu, click on Messages and choose Preferences.
- Now select your iMessage account if it isn't already and then tick the box for Read Receipts to either on or off depending on which you want.
Do you have read receipts turned on or off on your devices? Do you find them creepy or helpful? Let me know in the comments!
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to set messages to automatically delete themselves with iMessage
- How to save space on your iPhone or iPad by setting iMessage videos to automatically delete
- How to edit the expiration of audio messages in iMessage
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to use quick reply messaging with iMessage
- How to mute individual message threads in iMessage
- How to leave group messages with iMessage for iPhone and iPad
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to quickly delete multiple images at once with iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send photo and video selfies in just seconds with iMessage
- How to send a quick voice message with iMessage
- How to quickly share your location using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android
- Receiving iMessages on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but not regular texts? Here's how to fix it!