How do I use Apple Maps with CarPlay to get where I need to be?
Outside of streaming services, I'd be willing to bet the most used CarPlay app is Maps. Whether you're looking for a business to or traveling out of state, it's much easier to be told where to go than navigating from memory or a map.
Most of Maps interface in CarPlay is pretty easy to understand, but there are a few tricky parts. Let's take a look at some of the app's basic functions and how you can use them to get the most out of your experience.
How to use the CarPlay Maps interface
To launch Maps, you need only tap on the Maps icon, then let it find your location. From here, you can zoom in and out on the 2D map; change the terrain to a 3D map; or explore and seek directions.
Heading to an area you aren't really familiar with, or looking for something new to do in an area you've been to a number of times? Tap the Destinations button.
CarPlay offers suggestions based on your location: Each icon on the screen represents a different type of venue, including Parking, Gas, Food, Coffee, and the like; tapping one will populate a list of places close to your current GPS location.
If there are places that you visit frequently and you don't want to have to search for each time, you can mark them as a favorite on your iPhone or iPad for quick and easy access; on your CarPlay system, you can access those favorite locations by tapping on the Heart icon within the Destinations screen to see your list.
If you are looking for something specific that you can't happen to find to see if it is nearby, you can tap the magnifying lens to search manually for it.
How to get directions with CarPlay
Whether you're traveling somewhere new or just want to check your route, the Maps app in Apple's CarPlay system can give you directions to wherever you need to go. There are a few ways to get directions: Most of the time you'll likely initiate the process from the touchscreen display in your car, but you can also use Siri or your iPhone to get directions.
How to get directions with the Maps app
- Tap on the Maps icon, then let it find your location.
- Tap the Destinations button. Your recent destinations will show up under the Recent icon, but if you want to search for something specific, tap the Search icon in the upper right corner.
Type the name of the place you want to go or the address, and CarPlay will offer suggestions.
- Once you've selected the location, you'll see a screen displaying your route time, ETA, and distance to travel. If there are multiple routes available, tap on the Route Options button to pick the best one.
- Once you've chosen your route, tap Start and then the navigation directions will begin.
How to get directions with Siri
- Press and hold the CarPlay button on your steering wheel, or press and hold the CarPlay Home button in the bottom left corner.
- Tell Siri "Get me directions to [place]" or "Find me [type of place]".
- Siri will offer suggestions; when you pick one, it will display on your CarPlay touchscreen.
How to get directions with your iPhone
Sometimes, searching for a place or finding an address may be easier from your iPhone. If you have a passenger in the car or are stopped safely in a parking lot, you can search for the information via the phone's Maps app. (We very much encourage you to not search for things or mess with your phone while driving, however, as that is far from safe.)
Once you've selected a destination on your iPhone, it will automatically show up inside the CarPlay Maps app on your car's touchscreen.
Your favorite tips?
Do you have any favorite tips that help make it even easier to get around with CarPlay? If so, be sure to drop them in the comments below so I (and others!) can benefit from them.