Apple's Maps app gives you everything you need to get where you're going and find interesting places along the way. It can tell you where you are, what direction you're facing, what's nearby, and how to avoid traffic. Maps can show you the ground in 3D and can take to the sky with Flyover. It can even provide turn-by-turn voice navigation for driving, walking, and — in some regions — public transit, including buses, trains, and ferries.
How do you use the Maps app? Here's everything you need to know to get started!
What's new in the Maps app?
Apple Maps has lagged behind its competitors for a few years — in part because Apple was late to the game. But over the last year, it's become a more stable, usable service. iOS 10 continued that trend, bringing huge (and much-needed) software and server-side improvements to Apple's mapping application.
No, it's still not perfect: In driving mode, it continues to struggle with traffic estimations and offering up the best alternate routes. But for local driving, it's gotten leaps and bounds better.
How to find locations and get directions with Maps on iPhone and iPad
Times have changed: Instead of the Thomas Guide, sixteen year olds have an iPhone to guide their way through city streets and subway lines. And instead of numbered paper sections, we have live traffic information and trip tracking in the form of Apple's Maps app. The company's app is built right into your iPhone or iPad. All you have to do is look! Here's how to use the Maps app to find your location and get directions.
- How to view and share your current location
- How to change your map view to Transit or Satellite mode and view traffic
- How to browse or search for a location
- How to request directions
- How to master turn-by-turn directions
How to name and save locations with Maps on iPhone and iPad
Whether you want your iPhone to remember your best friend's house or your local gym, adding and naming locations is easy with the Maps app for iPhone and iPad.
- How to add your current location to a Contact
- How to view a recent location in Maps
- How to drop a pin in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete a pin in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to add favorite locations in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to view favorite locations in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete favorite locations in Maps on iPhone and iPad
How to share location and directions with Maps for iPhone and iPad
Sometimes it's not enough for you to know where you are or where you're going. Sometimes you need to let other people know. Maybe you want to share a great new coffee shop you've found, maybe you got separated at the park, or maybe you need to be picked up where your car broke down. Sure, there's Find my Friends for sharing location all the time but, when you need to share location any time, there's Maps.
- How to share your location with Maps for iPhone and iPad
- How to add your location to Notes with Maps for iPhone and iPad
- How to share your location via AirDrop with Maps for iPhone and iPad
- How to share your location via Messages with Maps for iPhone and iPad
- How to share directions with Maps for iPhone and iPad
- How to open directions in Google Maps and third-party apps with Maps for iPhone and iPad
How to get transit directions with Apple Maps for iPhone and iPad
Apple has a few useful features specific to transit directions, making it easier to navigate the big city without a car. You can easily see transit stops for specific lines and, whenever multiple lines are available, you'll see all of the possible route suggestions. Here's how.
- How to highlight stops for a specific transit line in Apple Maps
- How to see what others are saying about a particular stop on a transit line in Apple Maps
- How to filter transit directions by type in Apple Maps
How to use Siri to get directions and maps on iPhone or iPad
With Siri and Apple's built-in Maps, you know longer have to stop, type, and search for directions. You can simply tell Siri where you want to go, and you'll get a route to go right there. It's great if you're in a new area of town or traveling in a new city. And if you get lost, you can even ask Siri to take you home.
- How to get directions with Siri and Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to find local businesses with Siri and Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to find your way home with Siri and Maps
How to find your car with the Maps app
Here's a not-so-secret fact about me: I'm awful at remembering where I parked. It's why I own a brightly-colored car that can make noise and flash its lights if I press my key fob — without them, I might as well condemn myself to wandering through darkened parking garages for hours.
Thanks to Apple's Parked Car feature in Apple Maps, though, I no longer have to rely on shiny paint or loud noises to help me discover where I left my vehicle: I only have to look at my iPhone or Apple Watch.
- How the Parked Car feature works
- How to turn on the Parked Car feature
- How to find your Parked Car via Siri
- How to find your Parked Car in the Maps app
- How to add information to your Parked Car location
- How to remove your Parked Car location
- What if your car doesn't show up?
How to change settings for Maps on iPhone and iPad
Apple Maps offers settings that let you change the volume of navigation prompts, change the units of distance, and even get follow-up emails on issues you report. You can set everything up just the way you want it — once you know where to look!
- How to change your preferred transportation type on iPhone and iPad
- How to enable and disable the compass in Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to change the navigation voice volume on iPhone and iPad
- How to turn on the Pause Spoken Audio feature on iPhone and iPad
- How to change the units of distance for Maps on iPhone and iPad
- How to turn off English map labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to turn on issue reporting for Maps on iPhone and iPad
How to delete your search history and destinations in Maps on iPhone and iPad
There are plenty of reasons to avoid storing your search and destination history: Maybe you're planning a surprise party; maybe you have one too many trips to Starbucks listed. Whatever the case, you can very easily get rid of your past search and destination history in Maps.
How to view the weather in Maps
If you're cruising along the highway on a road trip with pals and you want to take a peek at the weather without switching apps, follow along, and we'll show you how with Apple Maps!
How to use Maps extensions on iPhone and iPad
iOS makes it easier to get more out of the Maps app by allowing third-party apps to add extensions. The primary purpose of app extensions is to give you the ability to do things like book a reservation at a restaurant or call for a ride from services like Uber — all without having to leave Maps. This kind of integration frees up your precious time by cutting out the need to switch between different apps to accomplish your goals.
How to open Apple Maps locations in Google Maps
The Maps app is, shall we say, controversial: While Apple's mapping app has seen incredible improvement over the last few years, there are still areas (both physical and feature-related) where it falls short.
While you can't change the default mapping app on iOS, you can make it easier to switch to an alternative with a $1.99 utility app called Opener.
How to get directions and use Apple Maps with CarPlay
Outside of streaming services, I'd be willing to bet the most used CarPlay app is Maps. Whether you're looking for a business to or traveling out of state, it's much easier to be told where to go than navigating from memory or a map.
Most of Maps interface in CarPlay is pretty easy to understand, but there are a few tricky parts. Let's take a look at some of the app's basic functions and how you can use them to get the most out of your experience.
- How to use the CarPlay Maps interface
- How to search for specific locations with Maps and CarPlay
- How to get directions with CarPlay
Have a problem or question about the Maps app? Here are some common issues and information about them (as well as how to fix them).
- What's new in the Maps app
- How to find locations and get directions with Maps
- How to share location and directions with Maps
- How to delete your search history and prior destinations in Maps
- How to use Siri with Maps
- How to enable and use Maps extensions
- Best Maps app extensions
- How to change settings for Maps
- How to report a problem in Maps
- How to use Maps with CarPlay
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
NJ Supreme Court rules you can be forced to give up your phone’s passcode
In a 4-3 decision, the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled Monday that the Fifth Amendment did not protect this particular defendant.
Ooredoo ONE subscribers can now get an Apple TV 4K with their TV plan
Subscribers to Qatari TV company Ooredoo can get a free Apple TV 4K with their ONE plan right now.
EU says it is 'aware' of Facebook Gaming and Microsoft xCloud concerns
The European Commission has said it is "aware" of concerns over Apple's App Store rules regarding recent news over Microsoft's Project xCloud gaming service and Facebook Gaming.
Train insane with the best fitness trackers for triathletes
These fitness trackers are the cream of the crop when it comes to health and fitness tracking for triathlon training. Which tracker will you need? Here's what our research shows.