iOS4 updated: Twitter, Real Racing, Flight Control, Plants vs Zombies, Trapster, TomTom, Slacker Personal Radio
We’ve been keeping our eye out as more iOS4 app updates keep hitting the App Store filled with multitasking, state saving, Retina Display-ing goodness. So pull out your iPhone or get on iTunes and check for updates. Here are some more we’ve seen roll out since our last post.
Hit the jump to see what new ones we've found!
Twitter for iPhone
This is a big one for most people as it’s by far one of the most popular Twitter clients for iPhone. Now that it’s become the official client and is available for free, it’s become that much more popular. Twitter for iPhone hasn’t disappointed and rolled out an update that not only supports fast app switching, but resolution support for the new retina display, as well as some bug fixes.
Real Racing by Firemint
Games are what most users are really looking forward to with the new display. Looks like some developers are really starting to take advantage of the new display. Real Racing seems to have redesigned their graphics to take advantage of the iPhone 4’s display. If you’re in the market for a great racing game, this just may be for you.
Here’s what’s included in the update –
- New graphics for showing off the retina display with high resolution textures, more detailed car interiors, improved track graphics, beautifully updated menus and exceptionally smooth graphical performance on iPhone 4
- More responsive and accurate controls on iPhone 4, with three-axis gyro support in addition to the accelerometer
- Smoother graphics on iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3 with iOS4 anti-aliasing
- Support for iOS4 multitasking on compatible devices
- Bux Fixes
Flight Control by Firemint
Looks like Firemint is really on a roll and updating most of their game selection for iOS4. Most of the updates seem to be in line with those for Real Racing. Enhanced graphics, fast app switching, anti-aliasing, and gyro support. If you’ve never played Flight Control, it’s an incredibly addicting game. If you already have it, go grab the update!
Plants vs Zombies
This is one of my favorite games of all time. If you haven’t picked it up, I highly suggest it. Those of you who currently have it, it’s been updated to support fast app switching in iOS4. Apart from that, I don’t believe the update includes support for the retina display. I’m hoping we’ll see that in a future update.
There aren’t very many free navigation apps in the App Store. If you aren’t in the market to spend a lot and want a decent one, Trapster may be for you. It also comes with speed trap alerts. And it comes with support for background navigation. What more could you ask for?
I’ve read in several places that users were having issues with TomTom after upgrading to iOS4. TomTom has issued an update to not only fix compatibility issues but adding some great features to support iOS4. So if you upgraded to iOS4, make sure you update so you can continue using TomTom. GPS apps are probably going to improve ten-fold with the release of iOS4. Here’s a list of new and improved TomTom features –
- Seamless navigation while calling (3GS and iPhone 4 only)
- Newly updated maps
- Background navigation instructions
- Route Sharing (share route details with contacts via e-mail)
- Departure Reminders (add them to your calendar)
- Eco Routes (more fuel efficient routes)
- Car Symbols (personalize car symbols on your driving screen)
Slacker Personal Radio
Slacker is right now releasing version 2.1 which supports multitasking for listening to Slacker Radio in the background and offers convenient controls for accessing the app while performing other device functions. Slacker Radio 2.1 for iOS 4 offers:
- Support for multitasking
- Convenient background play controls
- Music library featuring millions of songs
- No monthly listening limits
- Over 120 professionally programmed genre stations
- Create custom stations based on artists or songs
- Fine tune stations on-the-fly to play more of the music you like
- View artist biographies and photos
- View album art and reviews
- Pause and skip songs
- Rate songs as favorites
- Ban the songs and artists you don’t like
If you're a Slacker Radio Plus subscriber:
- Cache stations to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch**
- Enjoy Slacker radio stations even without a wireless network
- Unlimited song skipping
- Ad-free listening
- Complete song lyrics†
- Unlimited song requests for creating stations
- “Peek Ahead” artist and album preview
That's what we've found so far, but if you find any you think deserve a post-up let us know in the comments or send us a tip!