Daily Tip: How to rearrange iPhone and iPad app icons [Beginner]
Just get a new iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad an curious how to rearrange your app icons and put your favorite programs exactly where you want them for faster, easier access? Maybe you want Facebook right up front and that default stock app to get lost? It's easy to do and we'll show you how, after the break.
- From the iPhone or iPad home screen, touch and hold any icon until all of the icons start to jiggle (this is called "jiggly mode")
- Once they're jiggling, just touch an hold an icon and then move it around the page until it's exactly where you want it.
- If you drag an icon to the extreme left or right of your home screen, almost off the edge, you'll scroll to the previous or next page and be able to place the icon on a new or different home screen.
- You can even drag apps out of the dock that you might not use that often and put more frequently used apps in the dock (like replacing iPod with Messages for frequent SMSers).
- If you drag an icon on top of another icon, you'll start a new folder. You can put up to 12 apps in an iPhone folder and 20 apps in iPad folder. (And yes, you can put folders in the dock as well!)
- If you tap the X on top of a jiggling icon, you'll delete it so make sure you don't do that unless you really want to!
- Once you're done, click the home button to exit jiggly mode.
Bonus tip: If you want to rearrange a lot of icons all at once it can be a lot faster to plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and do the heavy lifting in iTunes. Then, when the virtual screen in iTunes is just the way you want it, click to sync and all the changes will be carrier over.
Bonus Jailbreak tip: If you are jailbroken you can use Gridlock to leave blank spaces and otherwise more precisely place your icons.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments. If you've already rearranged your iPhone or iPad apps and found something that really works well for you, let us know!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)