What you need to know
- Popular ambient sound app Dark Side has had a big update, available now.
- The app gains new features and improvements to old ones.
- Big changes include the ability to create your own mixes as well as iCloud syncing for users of multiple devices.
The popular ambient sound app Dark Noise has a big new update out today. It's so big that the changes warrant an update to Dark Noise 2 and there's plenty to enjoy.
Available as a $5.99 download from the App Store (opens in new tab), Dark Noise 2 brings new icons, new sounds, and new bug fixes to an app that was already a hit for those who like to listen to ambient sounds while they work, sleep, or just relax. It's also a boon for those with young babies who struggle to sleep – just putting that out there!
I've been testing Dark Noise 2 for a while now and it's most definitely the best version of a great app. Just watch the promo video and check out this list of changes.
- Create Mix • Build your own custom mix from any number of sounds. Mix multiple of the same sound for even more variety! Animated icons can be built using the new icon creator or images or animated GIFs can be imported from the Photo Library.
- iCloud Syncing • Custom mixes and favorites will now sync to all of your devices using iCloud! No need to sign in or configure anything, your data will simply follow you to all of your Apple devices.
- 8 New Sounds • New sounds have been added to the Dark Noise catalogue and can now be played separate or added to mixes.
- iPad Pointer Support • Navigate Dark Noise 2 with a trackpad or mouse with full pointer support on the iPad.
- New Icons • Get your textures on with a new skeuomorphic icon added to the list of custom icons. And the new Launched icon is in honor of the podcast of the same name by Dark Noise developer Charlie Chapman.
The ability to combine multiple sounds into a single, custom mix is something that changed my Dark Noise game and it could low key be the best feature ever added to an ambient sound app. Try it out, I'm sure you'll agree!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.