Apple has released information on the security updates that were covered in the recent release of iOS 5.1.1. When it was originally released yesterday, all that we knew was that there were various bug fixes. This update actually covers some important security fixes too for Mobile Safari and WebKit based browsers in general.
- Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2. Impact: A maliciously crafted website may be able to spoof the address in the location bar.
- Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2. Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to a cross-site scripting attack. Description: Multiple cross-site scripting issues existed in WebKit.
- Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2 Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. Description: A memory corruption issue existed in WebKit.
If you do a lot of web surfing on your iOS device it is definitely worthwhile upgrading to iOS 5.1.1 just for these security updates. Of course if you are running a jailbroken device you will want to still clear for now.
Given that, with iOS 5, Apple introduced over-the-air (OTA) updates to the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, it's interesting that they're still waiting and bundling security patches into larger software updates. OTA updates are done via bit-differential (delta file), and happen on-device and without the need to backup, re-install, and restore, so they're small and incredibly efficient. Apple could choose to push out security updates far more frequently. It's possible they think more frequent updates could annoy users, or their numbers tell them too many users are still updating over USB with iTunes for it to make sense right now. Hopefully, however, they're moving in that direction.
If you haven't yet updated to iOS 5.1.1 and you're looking f, here’s where to go:
- How to update your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad over-the-air using iCloud
- How to update your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad using iTunes on Mac or Windows
- iOS 5 help and discussion forum
Source: Apple Support (opens in new tab)
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
UK editor at iMore, mobile technology lover and air conditioning design engineer.
I went to check the OTA update, told me it was to large coming in at approx 54 megs.
Use wi-fi to update, then you don't get the file too large error.
Recently I'm using iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1 but I could not delete my photo album. Anyone can help me?
Only "camera roll" can be deleted on the phone, all other albums must be removed via iTunes.
I dont have any problems with deleting photo album. Try restarting your phone
might have to check this out
My brother recommended I might like this web site. He used to be entirely right. This submit actually made my day. You cann't believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!
after updating to 5.1.1 i also have problems of cant delete album sor photo other than pics that ive taken. luckily these pics are sync over itunes, i just remove em all from itunes, and resync it, now the delete button available. u sucks apple for having this stupid bug after updating.
apple deserve a JAILBREAK! F U!
My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was once entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!
You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I believe I would never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely huge for me. I am looking ahead to your next put up, I'll attempt to get the dangle of it!
Thanks , I have recently been searching for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I've discovered till now. But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you certain about the supply?|What i don't realize is if truth be told how you are no longer actually much more smartly-favored than you might be now. You are very intelligent.
I do not even understand how I stopped up right here, but I thought this publish was great. I don't realize who you're but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you happen to aren't already. Cheers!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.