Apple has released iOS 8.4 to the public, and with it, the Apple Music streaming music service. The service allows users to stream music an unlimited number of tracks on-demand from the iTunes catalog, brings along Beats 1, a live radio station broadcasting globally 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and introduces Connect, a new way for artists and their fans to interact.
You can find Apple Music in the brand new Music app. You'll have the option to sign up for either an individual account for $9.99 per month, or a family account, which allows up to six people to share a subscription for $14.99. These charges will come into effect, however, only after your free, three-month trial. If you sign up today, that should end on September 30, 2015.
iOS 8.4 also makes improvements to iBooks, and fixes a number of bugs that have cropped up. Check out all of the changes in iOS 8.4 below:
- Apple Music
- Become an Apple Music member to play from millions of songs in the Apple Music catalog, or keep them offline for playback later
- For You: Members can see playlist and album recommendations, handpicked by music experts
- New: Members can find the latest, greatest new music available–direct from our editors
- Radio: Tune in to music, interviews, and exclusive radio shows on Beats 1, play radio stations created by our editors or create your own from any artist or song
- Connect: See shared thoughts, photos, music, and videos from artists your follow, then join the conversation
- My Music: Play fro all of your iTunes purchases, songs from Apple Music, and playlists in one place
- Completely redesigned music player that includes new features such as Recently Added, MiniPlayer, Up Next, and more
- iTunes Store: Still the best place to buy your favorite music–one song or album at a time
- Availability and features may vary by country
- iBooks improvements and fixes
- Browse, listen, and download audiobooks from inside iBooks
- Enjoy the all-new Now Playing feature, designed specifically for audiobooks
- Books that are Made for ibooks now work on iPhone in addition to iPad
- Find and pre-order books in a series right from your library
- Improves accessibility of widgets, glossary and navigation in books made with iBooks Author
- New default Chinese font
- New setting to turn off Auto-Night theme in your library
- Resolves an issue that may have prevented Hide Purchases from working
- Other improvements and bug fixes
- Fixes an issue where receiving a specific series of Unicode characters causes device to reboot
- Fixes an issue that prevented GPS accessories from providing location data
- Fixes an issue where deleted Apple Watch apps could re-install
For more on how to make the most of the new Music app, with an Apple Music subscription or not, check out our ultimate guide.
You can download the update either over-the-air on your iPhone and iPad, or through iTunes.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.