Avid Studio is a new app that lets you edit video, audio and photographs right on your iPad. And if you think Apple’s iPad version of iMovie has just gotten some real competition in the video editing space -- you're right.
Avid and Apple have been battling it out for years now in the professional space, with Avid's high end movie editing kit seeing competition from Apple's much lower priced Final Cut Studio. Several prominent directors switched from Avid to make high profile movies using Final Cut. Following Apple's recent re-invention of the digital editing model with Final Cut X, they faced a lot of push back from unhappy editors who missed features or simply didn't like the new software. Apple did, however, achieve some consistency across their editing software, with everything from iMovie on iPhone and iPad, to iMovie on Mac, to Final Cut Pro embracing similar user interface and design concepts.
Now Avid is bringing the battle back to Apple, and on Apple's mobile turf for a change. We'll have a full hands-on, and a side-by-side comparison with iMovie coming your ways soon. In the meantime, here are all the details on Avi
Big-screen moviemaking comes to the touchscreen with Avid® Studio for iPad. We’ve distilled the world’s leading film-editing technology into an easy-to-use app that enables you to edit video, audio, and photos at the speed of your creativity. Swiftly arrange your clips in the Storyboard, make precision edits using the Timeline, and add high-quality transitions, effects, and a soundtrack. Then share your movie directly to YouTube, Facebook, and more—or export your project to Avid Studio for the PC and continue editing with even more advanced tools.
Easily Access Your Media
- Work with any media on your device—video, audio, and photos
- Access media from external devices via an iPad Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- Capture video and photos from within the app
- See your media organized by Albums, Events, Faces, and more
- Get started quickly with how-to materials
- Easily navigate your project with intuitive gestures
- Swiftly arrange clips in the Storyboard
- Make precise edits and trim individual frames in the Precision Trimmer
- Use the Razor Blade tool to cut on the fly and delete or replace the second half of the clip
- Easily replace one clip with another
- Quickly create multi-layer 3D animations, transitions, and titles with included Montage templates
- Easily composite video tracks to create layered looks
- Add high-quality fades and dissolves to help your story flow
- Generate professional-looking motion titles and graphics with full control over text, font, color, size, position, and rotation
- Create amazing Picture-in-Picture effects with full control over position, size, and rotation
- Pan and zoom on your photos to create high-impact slideshows
- Enjoy full-screen playback
- Use your own audio or choose from the included sound effects
- Trim audio to any length, set levels, and fade audio in or out
- Easily share movies via YouTube, Facebook, email, and more
- Export projects to Avid Studio for the PC
Pro Technology, Pro Results
- Created by Avid, the maker of the world’s leading film and music editing technology
- Easy enough for the hobbyist, powerful enough for the pro
Avid Studio is available for just the iPad and costs $4.99. You have to be running a minimum of iOS 5 to use the applications.
Have an app you’d love to see featured on iMore? Email us at email@example.com, tell us about your app (include an iTunes link), and we’ll take a look.
[gallery link="file" order="DESC" orderby="title"]
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
Plan your day with Hour Blocks and its amazing iOS 14 Home screen widgets
Planning your day is no fun but sometimes you find an app that goes some way to making it less boring. Hour Blocks does a decent job and it looks lovely, too.
Scribble Together gets the coolest iOS 14 App Clip we've seen so far
Scribble Together has released its new App Clip for Scribble Together, which will allow users to collaborate on a Scribble Together whiteboard even if they don't have the app.
Shoot like a pro (even if you're not) with these great iPhone camera lenses
The iPhone already has a pretty great camera, but you can make videos and photo look even better with these cool lenses and kits! Here are some of our favorites on the market.