Want to know how to find the closest sushi restaurant, or pizza, or who to call to make a reservation when it's your anniversary and you completely forgot to make a reservation? Never fear, the native Google Maps app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is here! We'll show you how it can save the day -- or at least save yourself from pizza famine -- after the break!
- Launch maps
- Get your current location by tapping the arrow button at the bottom left.
- Using the search field at the top right, type in the type of food you want, the name of the restaurant you're looking for, or anything you can remember about the address. For example, I’m in New York City near Broadway and Reade Street and I’m in the mood for Pizza. Typing “pizza” will then search the environs for the nearest pizza joints and drop a pin on their precise locations.
- Tap the pins to get more information. You can click the small blue chevron to bring up more information about your chosen pizza place, and if it has a Google Streetview icon on the left, you can even see the place and its surroundings!
- Tap the link to the homepage of the restaurant, or if you're on an iPhone, simply tap of the phone number to call it right up (so they can have your pie hot ‘n ready for you when you get there).
- Finally, tap the “Directions to Here” button at the bottom of the info page and select if you are driving, taking public transit or walking with estimated time it takes to get there.
That's it, a few simple steps to find the food, Starbucks, burger joint, pizza place, or 5-star restaurant of your choice, all right on your iOS device! If you have any other Maps tips, let us know in the comments!
[Special thanks to Master from the iPad live chatroom for this tip!]
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.