Because Apple Watch is paired to the iPhone for internet access and easy device management, watchOS updates are done using the Watch for iPhone app. To install watchOS 2.1, you should first update your iPhone to iOS 9.2. Once that's done, make sure you have your iPhone ready and on Wi-Fi, and your Apple Watch charged to 50% or more and connected to its magnetic charger.
What's in the update?
According to Apple, watchOS 2.1 includes the following new features, bug fixes, and performance enhancements.
- Adds support for system language in Arabic, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Malay, Portuguese (Portugal), and Vietnamese
- Adds support for Right-to-Left user interface
- Adds ability to switch between Latin and Hindi numerals for Arabic
- Adds a new complication for Islamic and Hebrew Calendars
- Adds support for Siri and dictation in Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates)
- Adds support for dictation in English (Malaysia), Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Portuguese (Portugal), and Vietnamese
- Resolves an issue that could prevent events from updating in the Calendar complication
- Fixes an issue that prevent the time from displaying in Power Reserve mode
- Addresses issues that could prevent third party apps from launching
- Fixes an issue that could prevent third-party app icons from displaying correctly
- Fixes an issue that could cause instability when changing the system language
For more information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
How to download and install to watchOS 2.1
- Update your iPhone to iOS 9.2.
- Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi and launch the iOS 9 Watch app.
- Tap on the My Watch tab.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your iPhone Passcode (if you have one).
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Make sure your Apple Watch is charged to at least 50% and connect it to the magnetic charger.
- Tap Install on your iPhone and/or your Apple Watch.
The watchOS 2.1 update will download and transfer to your Apple Watch and Apple Watch will reboot to apply the update. You can follow the progress on the Apple Watch screen, and once it's done, you'll be all set.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
This new Stillwater trailer is heartwarming and wholesome
Apple TV+ has a new show coming and it includes a talking panda. What more need you know?
Review: Anda Seat's Dark Demon is a gamer's dream
Anda Seat's Dark Demon gaming chair is a rugged, durable gaming chair perfect for intense gaming.
DEVONthink 3.6 adds Big Sur support and workflow improvements
DEVONthink 3.6 takes the already great app and gets it ready for macOS Big Sur and more.
Prevent damage with a rugged Apple Watch case
Looking for a little extra heavy-duty protection for your Apple Watch? Here are some stellar rugged Apple Watch cases to keep in mind.