What you need to know
- Apollo has a big new update out for iPhone and iPad.
- The flagship new feature finds the best Reddit posts for you, sending notifications when they appear.
- New Apollo icons and a ton of new features are also part of this new update.
Apollo, the Reddit app for iPhone and iPad, has a big new update out that includes a ton of changes and improvements — but the biggest of them all is that it makes Reddit useful again.
Reddit users will already know that Apollo is one of the best iPhone apps for reading its content, but this new update turns things up a notch by adding custom subreddit watchers. Those watchers can keep an eye out for new content that might be of interest across your favorite subreddits and then send you a notification when something is worth checking out. It's a great way to make sure that you see interesting posts without wading through all of Reddit to find them.
That feature ties in nicely to Apollo's "completely redesigned notification experience" while other improvements include notifications for trending posts and more.
The most notable improvements from the App Store release notes include:
- Introducing custom subreddit watchers. Incredibly powerful, you can now create filters and have Apollo watch for interesting content in your favorite subreddits, and get a notification as soon as a matching post exists. So you'll never again miss out on a fascinating discussion about your favorite character Mark in your favorite TV show subreddit, or about PS5 or Xbox sightings in your city's subreddit, or about the squirrels being posted in r/aww. It's so unbelievably handy.
- Trending subreddit posts. With a tap you can turn on trending post notifications for subreddits of your choosing, so when a post in your favorite subreddit does super well, Apollo will send you a little notification to brighten your day
- Remind Me In… tired of summoning "remind me bots" in comments? Apollo can now easily schedule a notification for a post you want an update on, so you can know to come back when OP posts the juicy update they promised
- Completely rebuilt inbox notifications (post replies, comment replies, messages, mentions).
As always, this Apollo update includes some new icons as well, arguably the best yet.
Those who already have Apollo installed can find the new update waiting for them in the App Store while everyone else can go and grab it now (opens in new tab). You really should, too! Apollo is a free download with optional Pro and Ultra in-app purchases.
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.