What you need to know
- The iPhone 12 is holding its value more than the iPhone 11.
- A new report from SellCell says the lineup is holding its value 10% higher than its predecessor.
Apple products are known for holding their value over time more than many other brands. However, the iPhone 12 is taking that to new heights, even when it is compared to the iPhone 11.
A new report from SellCell says that the iPhone 12 lineup is actually holding its value about 10% higher than the iPhone 11 lineup before it. According to the research, the iPhone 12 has depreciated 34%% on average after six months, whereas the iPhone 11 lost about 44% of its value in that time.
Below are all of the key findings from the report on the value depreciation of the iPhone 12 lineup when compared to the iPhone 11:
- Both the iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 ranges lose on—average—40 – 50% of their value within the first four weeks of launch.
- Post iPhone 12 launch, the iPhone 11 range lost a further 8% of its value within three months and 10% of its value within nine months.
- Despite an initial steep reduction in value, the iPhone 11 range exhibits a steadying in its depreciation, retaining value well.
- The iPhone 12 range improves on the performance of its predecessor. Six months following launch sees the iPhone 12 range losing 34.5% of its value, while the iPhone 11 range lost 43.8% over the same time period. The iPhone 12 range is currently holding 9.3% more value than the iPhone 11 range did six months post-launch.
- The iPhone 12 Mini has depreciated the most from the iPhone 12 range of handsets, losing 41.0% after six months. This is almost 9% more on average than the other devices evaluated.
It's great to hear that the iPhone 12 lineup is holding its value so high, especially since many iPhone 12 owners will be looking to trade in that device for the new iPhone 13 when it is announced this fall. The iPhone 13 is expected to feature major upgrades to the camera system and battery with additional updates to the display and notch.
If you're not looking to upgrade to the iPhone 13 but instead want to take your iPhone 12 to the next level, check out our list of the Best iPhone 12 Cases 2021.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.